Saturday, February 5, 2011

How To Build A Texas Snowsuit

Yesterday, it snowed in Texas! Not a lot of snow, but almost an inch and any snow in Austin is reason enough to shut down the city. Cub's school was closed so the two of us stayed home while Buttin went into work.

I wanted to get Cub outside and let him play in the snow; however, we don't really have appropriate snow gear. I had to improvise.

Here's Cub modeling my creation (I'm sure he'll appreciate this picture when he's 16):


A. PLASTIC BAGS - none of his clothing is really water resistant so (using my trash bag/rain poncho experience from last weekend's run) I covered Cub in grocery sacks. Here's a blurry picture of him in his grocery bag outfit.


B. DIAPER COVER - even with the plastic bags covering his every inch, I wasn't convinced his butt area would stay dry (and I knew he'd probably be sitting in the snow), so I covered up his entire butt area with a diaper cover. The diaper cover has a polyurethane lining, so I knew the clothing around his butt would stay dry.

C. BLANKET SLEEPER - for coziness I put (over his clothes and plastic bag protection suit) his blanket sleeper on him - we call them Winta Pants in our house.

D. HAT - pretty self explanatory.

So, after all my preparation. Our total time spent playing (generous use of the word) in the snow was about 20 seconds and Cub's total time spent crying in the snow was about 15 seconds.

Oh well, as I think I've mentioned a time or two on this blog (or maybe you've seen all the pictures) - I think my baby likes water (as in swimming) not frozen water.

Here's a non-smiling, but not yet crying picture of Cub in the snow.


2 comments:

  1. I have no words. Well actually I have 21 words. I will let you do a little free form thinking and figure out how they all fit together. I have to go pour myself a stiff drink because this little photo montage is more than I am equipped to handle when I am sober.

    Unfit.
    Parent
    Psychological torture.
    Humiliation.
    Therapy.
    Juvenile Detention Center.
    Psychological Scarring.
    Felony.
    Drug dealing.
    Alcohol abuse.
    Intervention.
    Lobotomy.
    Tell-All-Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie

    OK, now I have had a couple of cocktails and I feel a lot better after the trauma those photos caused me. So I have to give you official notice that Jonathan and I bought a baby bed today and hired a Swedish nanny. She arrives tomorrow. Jonathan is especially excited about the nanny.

    When I come pick you up for lunch tomorrow I will just take Cash and 1/2 of his toys (even Aaron Spelling's old house isn't big enough for all of Marsha's gifts) back to our house. Jonathan and I would have bought Cash a little Gore Tex outfit if you had just asked us instead of covering him in garbage bags but that ship has sailed now.

    We are intervening and adopting/hijacking Cash from you.

    Cheryl and Marsha can come visit whenever they want. You may only visit if a member of the Delta Force supervises. Matt may come visit as often as he likes but we will have hidden cameras filming in case he decides to grab Cash and make a break for it. You will NEVER decorate Cash with bows, put barrettes in his hair, or dress him in garbage again. Any gifts that you give him must be manufactured by Mattell and may not be a recyclable food container.

    My decision is final. No appeals will be accepted. You had your chance at motherhood and you blew it. If you have another kid I will just come to the hospital and take it away before you have a chance to cause irreversible damage. May god have mercy on your soul.

    Cash -

    We are coming to save you. Hang in there boy.

    Uncle Jonathan and Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete