Sunday, November 15, 2009

SAN ANTONIO ROCK N' ROLL MARATHON REPORT


This is the first report, with just a couple pictures - will post more when I get the disposable camera pictures developed.

THE BASICS

Time: 6:57.46 - HERE IS THE GARMIN REPORT
Temperature/Humidity
Starting = 67 degrees/95% humidity
Ending = 80 degrees/78% humidity

Regarding our speed, in my (our - my mom ran too) defense:
  • I spent about 10 minutes in disgusting port-a-potties (should have just peed behind a bush) and about 25 minutes in line waiting for the disgusting port-a-potties (seriously, I think some people decided to wait and take their first poop in weeks during the marathon);
  • I spent another 5 minutes taking pictures with people dressed as chickens (no joke - I guess this was a popular cheering costume);
  • I spent about 5 miles walking backwards trying to relieve my horrible foot and leg cramps (more on those later);
  • It was freaking hot and humid out!!! It's not supposed to be THIS hot in November. I got a freaking sunburn.
(I know it's difficult to tell, but my shoulder is really burned and here is the spot where you can see my ipod tan line.)

My marathon heroes:
  1. My mother - she could have run way faster than 6 hours; however, she promised Buttin (without my knowledge) that she wouldn't leave me, even though I begged her to go on ahead.
  2. Bill McDonald - first of all, he brought me Chewy - so right there, that makes him like the number four most influential man in my life (after my husband and two dads). Secondly, Bill has had two spinal surgeries (and I'm sure a few other things), is still walking (very carefully) with a cane while he is recovering AND still managed to find my mother and me no less than SIX TIMES on the race course. One of these times he was standing under a bridge (it couldn't have been easy to get to), holding a sign and cheering for us. It was always so nice to see him - THANKS BILL!

Mile-by-Mile Report
  • Mile 1 - 12:40 - Great start. Thankfully, the race started on time and corral #22 started around 8:12 AM.
  • Mile 2 - 13:18 - This was the first Bill sighting - we stopped to take pictures.
  • Mile 3 - 13:08 - This was pictures at the Alamo and with the first person in the chicken costume. Also - very sad and rather uncomfortable occurrence - we saw a runner being wheeled to an ambulance (thankfully it was close) - he did not appear to be conscious and someone was doing chest compressions, my mom said - probably a heart attack. I really hope he's OK. It's just something you NEVER want to see.
  • Mile 4 - 12:38 - can't remember anything interesting - we just kept moving along.
  • Mile 5 - 19:22 - first potty break. Met another preggo - she was doing the half-marathon and is 32 weeks along. She was allowed (very rightly, I think) to cut in line, but I didn't feel pregnant enough to cut in line. Her baby was very obviously pushing on her bladder; whereas Lumpy was just kicking mine occasionally.
  • Mile 6 - 11:25 - catching up to Momsy.
  • Mile 7 - 12:47 - doing well.
  • Mile 8 - 12:31 - same.
  • Mile 9 - 12:41 - same.
  • Mile 10 - 12:22 - same.
  • Mile 11 - 14:56 - 2nd potty break (eweeee)
  • Mile 12 - 12:49 - doing OK, but starting to feel some discomfort in me legs, feet and lower back.
  • Mile 13 - 16:59 - the struggle, fight and begging/pleading with my feet and legs begins and continues for the rest of the marathon.
  • Mile 14 - 16:11 - Me: "Please little feet - cooperate, I will stop and stretch and treat you with love." Feet: "No, crazy lady - we don't like this."
  • Mile 15 - 16:07 - more of the same. No amount of Cytomax or salt or Tylenol is helping.
  • Mile 16 - 16:44 - Me: "Feet, the faster we go, the sooner we finish." Feet: "Why don't you trip that person on a bike and let us peddle home - we prefer to peddle or stop."
  • Mile 17 - 16:51 - more of the same.
  • Mile 18 - 18:45 - it gets worse. My lower back and calves decide to seize up. I begin to walk backwards, as this relieves the discomfort somewhat, but makes me VERY slow.
  • Mile 19 - 18:57 - potty again and more walking backwards.
  • Mile 20 - 17:48 - Me: "Feet, if you can just make it one more 10K - we'll be good." Feet: "We'd rather not."
  • Mile 21 - 18:36 - more of the same.
  • Mile 22 - 17:42 - still more of the same. I try some "mind over matter" chants - my legs laugh at me.
  • Mile 23 - 18:23 - thinking only a 5K left, doesn't really help.
  • Mile 24 - 17:15 - we do some jogging. Actually, jogging feels much better on my legs and feet than walking, but every time I jog - my heart rate jumps (I blame the humidity) and I need to slow down. I had one very bad spike (188) at mile 17 and don't want to repeat it.
  • Mile 25 - 20:08 - certainly the WORST mile EVER. I knew I wasn't doing any damage - I was just very uncomfortable.
  • Mile 26 - 17:07 - my mom and I start to jog, we will run (jog) through the finish line.
  • Mile 26 (well last .71 miles) - 9:23 - I actually get happy that we're almost done and I'm in less pain because we're jogging.
Mentally, I felt just fine. My stomach and head and every other part of my body were cooperating during my first marathon; however, my legs and feet (kind of crucial to the running aspect of a marathon -doncha think?) just weren't cooperating.

My mom and I finished with smiles although shockingly the pain in my feet didn't stop when we crossed the finish line (what a surprise!). Because we were bringing up the rear end of the race, we got an entire box of food (3 packages of bagels, tons of fruit roll-ups, bags of chips and countless other things.) After I ate a bagel, we still had to walk about 5 blocks to the Denny's to meet Buttin and my dad. My feet apparently couldn't tell the difference between the race and post-race. We walked about one block and then saw one of the best sights of the entire day - a rickshaw. I had $5 and my mom had $2 - and the very kind, wonderful man said he would take us to the Denny's. Best $5 I've EVER spent or at least that's what it felt like at the time!

Buttin drove me home (after grabbing us some Icees). I took a shower and after getting out - I felt human again (if a little sunburned) and was able to walk around just fine - no foot or leg discomfort, just some normal stiffness.

I will certainly marathon again. I'm sure my mom will too. I might be ready by this time next year for the San Antonio Marathon again or maybe we'll try Dallas in December 2010 or Houston in January 2011.

One little (but important) suggestion for the race organizers/volunteers:
  • First of all, the volunteers were WONDERFUL and encouraging and there were TONS of them. Next year - I would recommend that they take just a tiny number of those volunteers and have them re-stock the toilet paper in the port-a-potties or at least put some toilet paper outside of them on a table (some handiwipes would have been nice too - but I don't want to push my luck). Thankfully, I had a bunch of Kleenex, but some toilet paper would have been nice for additional cleaning purposes
OK - I'm sure that I'll remember more stories when I see all the pictures tomorrow, but this race report will have to do for now.

Time for food and a nap!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!

    We are very proud that you did this, and very excited to hear more details! You put in amazing work to make this happen.

    I offered Jen to join you next year, but she told me "Hell no". You will, however, have a co-pilot for Bill as cheerleader!

    Mark & Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You must be looking forward to a little rest now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you!! YOU DID IT!!!!

    I would join you in your next marathon...but it's kinda hard to run while smoking a cigarette and drinking a Vodka Tonic!

    In any case - WAY TO GO!!

    ReplyDelete