Friday, August 7, 2009

The Soundtrack Of Your Life

Earlier this week we went to the Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp & Bob Dylan concert at the Dell Diamond.

While at the show, I realized that I really should listen to more music. I think all the pod casts and talk radio I listen to only ads to my stress. This morning, I ran a fast 4 miles (by fast I mean that I can run one mile a little faster than in takes one batch of cookies to bake) and listened to music instead of the usual talk radio pod casts. I forget how fun music can be while running. My current favorite running song is Help I'm Alive - Metric. I call it the zombie hammer song.

I'm not very musical inclined and not really drawn to music - I much prefer TV, books or cookie dough, but there have been many times while listening to a song, that it feels as though the song becomes part of the soundtrack to the movie of my life (cheesy, I know).

When it comes to music, Buttin is the expert. He can listen to a song and think of a perfect place for the song in a movie scene he's creating in his mind. He even once (and he'll hate that I'm mentioning this) said that this new song he heard would be perfect for So You Think You Can Dance - isn't he cute? Music is not only the soundtrack to his life - it's often the exposition, theme, action and denouement (I love that word).

I really enjoy taking road trips with Buttin. We just put the ipod on random and he's got a story for pretty much every song, especially the older ones.

This brings me back to the concert a couple of nights ago.

If I could pick only one musician to tell the story of Buttin's life - it would be John Mellencamp. (As a side note, I still think he needs a middle name - I miss Cougar.) During the concert, Mellencamp started to play Small Town. I started tearing up just a little thinking about Buttin and his friends and family and their small town. I turned around and Buttin had a couple little tears in his eyes too.

I don't know if I could pick one musician to tell the story of my life. My story would most likely be told by a cartoon or the back of a cookie dough wrapper.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you guys went to a concert this week. How did I miss knowing about a major outing like that? And how did you handle the schedule disruption it must have caused in your usual TV watching schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cried at a John Cougar song? Muhahaha! I'm so cashing in his Man Card.

    ......Right after I dispose of all the people familiar with my knowledge of all the songs from Victor, Victoria...

    What? Noooooooooooooooooo.........

    ReplyDelete