Friday, November 11, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

It's Veterans Day.  

I could never have been in the military - aside from all the discipline, obeying, shooting and stuff - they don't serve enough cookie dough (or so I've heard).  I have immense respect for those willing to serve in our military. It's a sacrifice I was not willing to make. 

I'm extremely pro-military, but I'm not delusional - I don't think many of our current foreign entanglements are keeping us "free".  In the past ten years we've put our military families at risk unnecessarily.   

We should be doing a lot more for our veterans.  Veterans should receive Wallstreet CEO pay - their sacrifices are greater than those of most business people.  

In honor of all Veterans and one in particular, my dad, I donated $25 to the Fisher House Foundation.  Fisher House provides homes (there are currently 54) for the families of veterans while their loved ones are being treated at major military and VA hospitals.  The families never pay to stay at a Fisher House.  Annually, the Fisher House program serves more than 12,000 families. 

Thank you to all our active duty service men and women, veterans and all their families. 

1 comment:

  1. Add to your thanks, a thanks for people like your mom, who helped those in the service. Being a former soldier, I realized that as much as we were expected to do, our tasks could not be done with those "behind the scenes".

    Bill

    ReplyDelete