Sunday, January 22, 2012

Unintentional Taper

I've been sick this past week.

I only ran on Monday. 

So, when I got up yesterday morning for my long run - I told Buttin - I might be two hours or I might be four hours.  I was gonna be happy with 16 miles, but I wasn't going to push myself (still recovering and all).

My running group doesn't usually get started till 7 AM, but that's way to late for me to start.  I left the house at 5:45 and (since I live so close to Cedar Park Rogue) ran to the route.  It was a wonderful, chilly 50 degrees. 

I got to the first water stop - no water.  Hump!  Thankfully, I had my own water and still had plenty left (I tend to drink less when it's cool out).  I got to the second water stop - no water. Double Humph!  I still had some of my water left, but I was now in slight conservation mode.  I was feeling really, really good and I estimated that I had gone about 4 to 5 miles.  

I checked my iPhone and I had gone 7.2 miles!  Whoppee! That never happens.  I decided to run to the next water stop because certainly the water would be out by the time I got to it.  Got there - no water.  OK, now I had to find an alternate water supply.  There was no way I would be able to make it back to Brushy Creek Park (water fountains) without water.  I headed back.

I found a familiar church.  I had run his route many times before and the woods next to this church had become a frequent potty stop.  I found a water hose at the church, filled up my water bottle and made a mental note that I should probably donate some money to that church.  

As I turned the corner, I noticed my running coach's truck - I waived.  I continued running and he came up next to me and we chatted for about 5 minutes.  Most of the runners in  Austin Marathon group were running the marathon route that morning, I knew this but didn't know if I'd be up for it with my illness, so I just figured I'd run closer to home.  

My running coach had not expected anyone on the course to be so far, so early and so he hadn't put the water out yet.  I figured as much.

On my way back home, I stopped for water at all the stops (and also pooed twice).  

I finished - 19.5 miles in 3:47 (including all my stops).  It was, dare I say, the easiest almost 20 miles I've ever run.  It must have been the taper.

Here is Cub playing at the park today.


No comments:

Post a Comment