Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Steady State Pace

Today's run was 8 miles, with a 20 minute segment in the middle reserved for steady state pace

Our coach described a steady state pace as approximately 85% of maximum heart rate - somewhere in between half marathon and 30K pace - my only thought, How am I supposed to go faster than 85% of maximum heart rate for an entire half marathon? 

My half marathon pace is supposed to be 9:32 - so I just decided that I would try to go faster than 10:00/mile for 20 minutes.  My plan worked and I ended up doing the entire 8 miles in an average of 10:46/mile, with the two miles in the middle being right around 9:42. 

This week Cub's school is on summer vacation (Buttin wants his money back), so Buttin and I are taking turns going into work and being at home with Cub.  We also have MorMor coming in town on Thursday and Friday.  Cub and I played this morning outside with the hose.

No comments:

Post a Comment