Sunday, July 17, 2011

They Can't All Be Winners

I ran (kind of ) 16 miles yesterday.  It was slow - 12:33/mile.

It hasn't rained in about a million days, but we had a little storm cell strike around 6:05 AM yesterday.   It didn't rain enough to cool things off - just enough to rinse all my sunscreen off and get my shoes soaking wet.

By about 6:07 AM I had two blisters and I could see steam radiating off the cement.  Delightful.

My two non-turtle friends and I have this routine.  One of them usually runs about two miles less than the other two of us (so she ran 14 miles yesterday for my non-math-wiz readers), so she turns around one mile earlier, then when my other friend and I reach our turn around point, we get a drink and then she goes back - faster.  I always end up finishing very last, all by myself.  

I think this routine is kind of a mistake for me because I end up going the first half way too fast (for me) and then I feel kind of crummy during the end of the run.  I felt pretty crummy from about mile 13 - 16.  It also didn't help this week that I got drenched with a two minute storm and never dried off - ever.  My toes were pruney when I got home and my sock was bloody.

Next week, I think I'll tell my friends to go ahead without me from the beginning.  I enjoy talking with them, but I need to run my own race.

Here is Graby walking and eating a cracker at the same time - he's kind of brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment