Saturday, July 18, 2009

Attempting The Trail Run

This morning I decided to drive to the trail I tried to run to last week.

I arrived about 30 minutes before the sun started to rise. Thankfully, there was one other person (a biker) in the parking lot. I asked him if the trail was runnable and according to my new trail friend (and his two cute trail puppies), it was.

I have very little sense of direction and hadn't bothered to looked at a trail map (in retrospect, probably a mistake) before starting my slow, soggy job.

I started down one of the main branches of the trail. It probably wasn't best to start in the dark on an unfamiliar trail. The tree roots, rocks and uneven terrain made it somewhat of a challenge to stay on my feet and I'm not even that coordinated on flat, well lit surfaces. However, I am happy to report for being so early in the morning, there were very few spider webs.

The problem with this network of trails is that there are so many branches. I never quite knew when I should turn off and try a new direction or stay on my current path. I usually run on a trail on Saturday morning, but on the Brushy Creek Trail, there are far fewer decisions to make and the direction to go is pretty much determined for you. Thankfully, the trails are pretty well marked, but again - it's difficult to read the signs in the dark.

Turns out - I'm not very good at running and thinking at the same time. I didn't find it very enjoyable to constantly try to determine the best fork to take in the trail - the branches, rocks and steep grades weren't that fun either.

After about 4 very slow (even slower than normal) trail miles, I decided to run on the roads to get some distance. I still only managed to do about 8 miles total, but it took me about 2 hours to do it.

I think I might try this trail again, when it gets cooler and I can start when the sun in shining. For today, I'm just happy I didn't hurt myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment