Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Heat Is On


This is ridiculous. It's incredibly too hot to be doing anything outside let alone trying to train for a marathon. I decided that I couldn't even drive to the trail that I usually run on this morning - I needed to use those additional 15 precious minutes of no sun to actually run.

I decided to run to a new trail around my house. When I looked online, Walnut Creek Park looked to be about 4 miles away. I was planning to run to the park, run about 3 miles on the trail and run back home.

On the way to the park, I took major roads (Duval & Parmer). This was a strange experience because I enjoy the peace of running, but I got no peace while running on major roads. What I did get was lots of strange looks and cat calls. The strange looks I expect (I know I'm funny looking while running), but the cat calls - I really don't think these men should be allowed to drive if they can't tell the difference between sweaty "special" girl and attractive person.

So, it took me 5.75 miles to get to the park entrance. I didn't even run on the trails because I was tired, extremely sweaty and I couldn't keep my heart rate down. I decided on the way home that I would take the back roads; however, I didn't really know the back roads for getting home - so I got a little lost and frustrated by the heat and hills. I was also running out of water.

I finally found a road that I recognized, but I had to walk most of the last 3 miles home because I couldn't keep my heart rate below 190. Even while walking my heart rate was around 170. I made it home after 12 very hot and sweaty miles. Maybe next time, I'll try driving to the new park and then I may get a chance to experience the actual trail.

Off to take a nap and then to see a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment