Friday, January 25, 2013

Filanthropy Friday

Africa has been in the news quite a bit lately - Secretary Clinton's testimony on Benghazi, the situation (understatement) in Mali and the Algerian hostage standoff

Some might say the region is just beyond hope, but I'm certain there are people in Africa (and throughout the World) desperate for help but unable to escape their situation.  There are many relief organizations in the region and this week I donated $25 to the International Rescue Committee.  They describe the work they do better than I ever could:

The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.  At work today in over 40countries and 22 U.S. cities the IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.

I also think it's pretty cool that they were founded (kind of) by Albert Einstein.  I'm sure in some way, my donation will make me smarter.



No comments:

Post a Comment