Friday, January 11, 2013

Filanthropy Friday

Since I'm now up all hours of the night  - I watch a lot of news (I also watch a lot of infomercials - so if your birthday is coming up, don't be surprised if you get a Flexible Hose).

I've been watching the news about Vice President Biden meeting with various groups to develop some ideas to prevent school shootings.  I have no answer or great solution.  I don't exactly understand why people need military-type weapons for personal use, but I also think as a culture we're extremely violent. 

I find it strange that we show horrible violence on basic cable television (honestly, one time I saw a Criminal Minds where it actually showed people having joints dismembered - while alive - so that they could be turned into human puppets), but women get harassed for breast-feeding in public. Our priorities are messed-up and I don't know if any amount of gun legislation (no matter how much I might be for it) can change our culture.  Buttin and I might disagree on this (especially as our sons get older), but I'd much rather our children watch sex in movies than violence.  As a culture, I think we're too casual about violence and too up tight about sex. 

This week, I'm doing my part to help those hurt by violence (this is a repeat donation, but a good one) and donating $25 to Safe Place




No comments:

Post a Comment