Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Running and Bra-ing

Yesterday evening I went out with my friend Liz and a few of her friends to get properly fitted for a bra.

I've never been fitted (by an expert) for a bra.  I've always just kind of tried one on and if there wasn't boob overflowing or extra fabric gathering and it look OK - I bought it (probably at Target).  

We went to Petticoat Fair - they're supposedly the experts.  

I decided  to try a normal bra and then a sports bra.  Everyone was rather horrified by my running bra situation - usually I wear two uni-sports bras, thereby creating one gigantic (and very secure) mono-boob.

In the fitting room, the attendant (very nice lady) measured me efficiently without molesting me and asked what I usually liked/didn't like in a bra (i.e. underwire, padding, etc.)

Here's where things get really shocking.

When I started wearing a bra - my size (or so I thought) was 36B, then as I got older and even up until a month or so ago - my size (or so I thought) was 34C.  Wanna guess my professionally measured size?

32 DD

Yeah, that's a DOUBLE D.  I was in shock - I'm still in shock.

I found a very nice "everyday" bra, but they didn't have the color I wanted in stock, so we moved onto a nice supportive sports bra.  I found one that was comfortable, secure and (most importantly) kept my two boobs separate.


I tried out my new sports bra this morning during my run.  It was very supportive and I didn't get any chub-rub ouchies.  I call that - successful.

I ran seven miles this morning:

1.7 mile warm-up

15X
1.5 mins - 10K pace
30 seconds - recovery

1.7 mile cool-down

I felt pretty good the entire time, but it was tiring.  Apparently this run is supposed to prepare us for bursts of speed (and here's the funny part) for when we need to PASS people during our marathon.  Ha! Ha! Ha!

Here is Cub working out this afternoon - this is his Karate Kid pose.

4 comments:

  1. oh yeay! What a great experience (getting professionally measured)!! Welcome to the DD club, too, haha :) I am not sure if you have ever tried the no bounce bra from Title 9, but it is from Enell (I think) and latches up the front. It seriously looks like a medieval torture device, but there is really no bounce whatsoever, not to mention it smooths out back fat (or the "back boob" as I have termed it).

    Great run, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Petticoat Fair. I nearly had a heart attack when they told me my size, too. I was a 34E after Isaac was born. YIKES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you sent me an email to tell me about this post I was under the impression that you thought I would be able to write some kind of funny comment about it. Other than telling you that you probably shouldn't post your bra size online I don't have anything funny or snarky to say about this.

    I need better material to work with. This is just drivel. Try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I soooo need to get fitted for a bra. Most of mine are from Target, too and I have a feeling I am not wearing the correct size! (Although I know I am nowhere close to a DD...dang, girl!

    ReplyDelete