Friday, December 9, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

I listen to books while running.

I listen to everything from short stories to non-fiction to thrillers - my only criteria is that it be engaging because I don't want to be uninterested while running. I need something to take my mind off the hills

My friend Liz LOVES Jack Reacher books.  I just listened to two - Gone Tomorrow and Worth Dying For, but recently I was in the mood for something different.

I really enjoy non-fiction adventure stuff - like Born To Run, Into Thin Air and In A Sunburned Country and I wanted to find something similar.  I found an audio book with a 5 star rating (highly difficult, there's always someone who doesn't like the narrators voice) - Little Princes: One Man's Promise To Bring Home The Lost Children of Nepal. 

I'm not finished with the book yet - but here's my brief overview.
  • Guy (almost 30) volunteers for three months at an orphanage in Nepal - Little Princes.
  • Guy discovers children are not orphans, they are trafficked children.
  • Guy leaves for a year.
  • Guy returns for a visit and during the course of his visit finds 7 children who are starving living in inadequate conditions.  He makes arrangements for the 7 children to be taken by a relief organization.
  • Guy returns to US.
  • Guy gets email from relief organization saying that it took them a month to get to the children (there was lots of civil war-type stuff happening at the time) and by the time they reached the hut where the children were staying, the same trafficker had taken them again.
  • Guy makes a plan to return Nepal to find the 7 children.  Guy is out of money so he starts Next General Nepal to help his mission.
  • Guy returns to Nepal.
  • So far (at my current place in the book), he has found 5 of the 7 children.
I'm both anxious and excited about finishing the book.  So far, I've heard one reunited story between a mother and her two sons and I started crying while running (not the first time it's happened).  

This week, I decided to donate $25 to Next Generation Nepal.  Right now, every donation through December 31st is doubled - so that makes it even better.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh my goodness - Thanks for what sounds like a great book recommendation. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you fell for a scam. Everyone (mostly Chinese leaders) knows that Nepal isn't its own country...its part of China and if the Nepalaese people and that pesky/annoying Dali Lama would just get with the program they would be protected by the benevolent leadership of China. You with me so far? Be part of China = all problems solved.

    Second of all, who the hell wants to traffic/steal Nepalese children? Their parents have no money so how would you hold them for ransom (allegedly) which is all children are good for anyway. So, right there, this whole "charity" is suspect.

    Third, if these kids needed homes so badly why didn't this "guy", who apparently has no name, call Brad and Angelina? Everyone knows they adopt/steal just about any kid they meet. That would have been a huge PR coup for Brangelina....not that they care about that or anything.

    Finally, if why is this guy running all over Nepal trying to find 5 poor kids when he could just jet down to Africa and be surrounded by about 5 million of them. That's just not an efficient use of time.

    I rest my case. Once again, you gave money to some scam organization just because they made you cry. This is probably a good time to mention that LizWorld (tm) has started a major "feed the children" program focused on the largely ignored Martian population. We are accepting donations now!

    By the way, what is with all the crying lately? You cry at every movie you see and now you cry when you hear fake stories about children in far away places who may or may not even exist. Good grief. You are a really "Debbie Downer" these days. I may have to find a new friend who is happier or who drinks a lot.

    Want to buy some tasty candy from a dude I met on the internet. He is having a sale now.

    Your unsympathetic friend,


    Liz

    ReplyDelete