Thursday, December 27, 2012

His Name


Mac's name is George Cormac.  

I swore that Mac was a girl and we had decided on the name Georgia.  While I was pregnant Buttin kept asking me what we would do if Chicken was a boy.  To make things simple, I said we should just use George if it's a boy and Georgia if it's a girl.  Buttin took a while to come around to my idea. 

George is Buttin's actual first name and it's also the name of both our maternal grandfathers. 

Cormac is for Cormac McCarthy - an author Buttin loves.  Buttin also loves that one of the meanings of Cormac is "impure son" - it also means "raven", "legend" and my personal favorite, "charioteer".   We also liked that Cormac gave us a good reason to call our son, Mac.   It was Buttin's idea.   

Several years ago (way before Cash and Mac) Buttin had me read The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  The novel is a post apocalyptic father/son story.   It's one of those books where lines stay with you.  One of those lines for me is one where the father describes his son by saying - "If he isn't the word of God, then God never spoke.".  

Buttin and I always talked about this particular line being for Cash - but now I guess it's for both of them. 

Here is little Mac tonight before his bath. It looks like a mug shot.


Here's big brother playing with his guitar.




No comments:

Post a Comment