Friday, September 7, 2012

Filanthropy Friday

Last night I watched as our President accepted the nomination for another term.  I admit, I get swooped up in his eloquence and passion.  I'll also admit that it's easy for me to do, because I agree with him on nearly everything.

However, it's not important that we all agree on all the issues - but it is important that we all vote and have the same access to voting.  That's why all this voter identification legislation that's being passed off as "voter fraud prevention" angers me.   We should all have the same rights and when a law is created to purposefully deny rights to a certain group of people - that's discrimination, or worse. 

This week, I donated $25 to the ACLU to help defend voting rights in our country. 


1 comment:

  1. Steph I think you are off base on this one. In Chicago if you want to vote you show a photo ID. Why? To prevent voter fraud in a city where there has been a long history of dead people voting for candidates. Having and showing a photo ID is not that big of a deal - we have to do that to buy freaking Claritin D these days. Do you think that knowing who is voting is less important than recording the correct identity of someone who is buying an over the counter allergy medication? C'mon. You want to travel in and out of ANY country? You need a passport or some form of photo ID. You want to go to a bank or check cashing store to cash your government check? You need a photo ID. No big freaking deal. Try getting on an airplane with no ID and see what happens.

    I saw Attorney General Eric Holder talk about how in some parts of this vast land the distance that a person would have to travel to get an ID is too far and too expensive to make it feasible. I am not buying that.

    To drive a car legally in this country you need a drivers license so if the people of whom he speaks live so far out in the middle of nowhere that they can't get a drivers license how are they getting around? Horses? Do they walk miles and miles to buy a quart of milk? I don't think so. They have cars and if they have cars they have to have a license and if they are legal to vote in this country they show the license when they vote. Period.

    I can't believe this is such a huge deal in this country. We need ID for everything given the "hanging chad" controversy in Florida when President Bush (43) was elected I would think everyone would be in favor of virtually any safeguards we put in place in our voting system.

    ReplyDelete