Friday, November 4, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

I'm a member of the Austin Apartment Association community outreach committee.  Our largest project of the year is The Doc & Gayle Young Food Drive. This year we have a very ambitious fund raising goal - $50,000.  This amount of money will buy food packs for 1,250 Austin families during the Thanksgiving holiday season. 

The Doc & Gayle Young Food Drive is awesome in many ways - but truly outstanding in one very unique way - 100% of all donations go directly to the families.  In my year of doing Filanthropy Friday, this is truly an anomaly. Most of the charities rated four stars (highest) by Charity Navigator give about 85% - 90% of all funds raised directly to the beneficiaries - there are always some administrative and/or fundraising expenses.  The Austin Apartment Association and their members absorb any costs associated with the food drive and that's amazing! 

This year - I donated $50 to the Doc & Gayle Young Food Drive.  It wasn't completely self-less, $40 bought a food pack for a family and $10 got me a t-shirt!

Maybe one day, someone will name a charity in my honor - I'm thinking - The Stephanie Cookie Dough Outreach Project or The Stephanie White Trash Christmas Spectacular-a-Thon. 

1 comment:

  1. I vote for The Stephanie White Trash Christmas Spectacular-a-Thon. I think the basics of the fundraiser would revolve around selling the tackiest Christmas decorations known to mankind and the proceeds would go to buy equally unattractive ornaments for people who can't afford them. And, if some of the people who couldn't afford ornaments also didn't want them we would just have to beat them senseless and decorate their homes for them. It won't be the usual touchy-feely charity that is for sure. Maybe the motto could be "we aren't happy until the whole world is tacky." Yeah, I like the sound of that.

    BTW, I donated $60 to the Doc & Gayle Young Food Drive because I am $10 more generous than you. :-)

    ReplyDelete