Thursday, June 28, 2012

Farewell Cheerleader

Three years ago I was training for my first marathon.  I was pregnant with Lumpy (Cash). 

My first marathon (San Antonio Rock N Roll) wasn't exactly record breaking (unless you count it as the slowest) or really very comfortable, but I did it with my mom and I have lots of good memories.

One of the BEST memories of my first marathon is of our cheerleader, Bill.

Keep in mind, it was my mom's first marathon, my first marathon and I was twenty weeks pregnant and our ONLY cheerleader was my mom's former patient and friend, Bill McDonald.  Buttin wasn't there, my dad wasn't there and I loved teasing them both for comfortably sitting on a couch watching TV while a man who was walking with a cane met us no less than 6 times on the course

Since that race Bill has continued to follow my running and motherhood progress on this blog and on Facebook.  He had an incredibly silly sense of humor, but could also write very encouraging comments.  Bill became like a funny, say anything kind of uncle.  

During the past couple of years Bill has been between illness and recovery, but never stopped making silly puns or funny comments. He's had tumors in his spine for years and he recently went into the hospital for another tumor removal operation.  His wife, Judy, has been writing Facebook updates periodically and although Bill was not recovering, I felt confident he would get there eventually.  Sadly, last night Bill passed away.  

I didn't know uncle Bill very well, but I feel sad.  Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones or maybe it's remembering how I felt during my first pregnancy when I was getting to know Bill (even if it was just online).  

He was a great cheerleader.  Rest in peace, Bill.

In other news, it was only 102 degrees today so Cub and I went outside for about an hour this afternoon.  I was miserable (even in the shade), but Cub had a blast. 



2 comments:

  1. OMG I am so sorry. I know he was close to your mom and was one of her biggest fans. I liked his comments and he clearly had a fondness for you and your family. I am sad to hear of his passing. Really.

    Love

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww - Sorry to hear of the passing of this man. He sounds like he has a special place in your heart.

    102 is ridiculous, but we've been doing the same, otherwise our youngling digs a hole in the carpet.

    ReplyDelete