Friday, June 22, 2012

Filanthropy Friday

Today's donation isn't really a donation - it's more of an investment.

If any of my readers also follow Shut Up + Run you've heard about another female jogger being killed while out of a run.  Sarah Hart was the mother of three and about 10 - 11 weeks pregnant when murdered.  It's so scary, sad and senseless.

Shut Up + Run wrote a post about staying safe while running (because many runners go it alone) and received a ton of feedback - everything from pepper spray to making eye contact with everyone.   I find it difficult to believe (because when I do go run, I'm already carrying SO much stuff), but some runners even carry handguns.   I'm not really running very much right now (maybe you've heard - my feet/legs tingle), but I'm strongly considering starting to carry a personal alarm (or maybe a log of cookie dough) when I go out for walks.   

I learned about the BIA GPS Sports Watch from Shut Up + Run.  I've never given money to a Kickstarter campaign before, but the BIA GPS Sports Watch sounds awesome.   Bia is currently developing an awesome GPS watch that also has the capability of sending a safety alert message including your GPS position to loved ones while you're running (to bad it doesn't also shoot cookie dough or work as a taser). 

I invested $40 and for my investment, I get a technical tshirt and the knowledge that I'm helping fund a great product.  The interesting thing about Kickstarter is that if the project isn't fully funded by the cut off date (in this case, July 12th), you don't get billed (but then I also wouldn't get my shirt).  






No comments:

Post a Comment