Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Goals

2011 was a fantastic year.  

I returned to running and completed three half-marathons and one marathon.  Buttin and I bought a house.  We kept most of the misfits out of prison.  Cub learned how to poo next to his potty chair (still working on in the potty chair). Plus there was some other good stuff happened.

Time to set some goals for 2012.
  • Set and maintain a family budget - Buttin and I don't have extravagant tastes, but we tend to buy whatever we want (within reason) whenever we want it.  My goal is to set a budget with aggressive saving goals.
  • Organize, simplify and unclutter - Moving into the new house has really motivated me to throw and give stuff away.  I really don't need the box from a pair of earrings I bought in 1997.   
  • Eat healthier and eat fewer processed food.
  • Make a healthy dinner (something Buttin will eat) at least one night a week.  
  • Become more educated about the products I buy and where they are made - This fall I learned (but was in semi-denial) that some of my favorite Nestle and Hershey Halloween treats come from cacao harvested using child labor.  The Harry Potter Alliance (one of my Filanthropy Friday recipients) has asked Warner Brothers to only make Harry Potter candy with fair trade ingredients.  I can't be perfect and I'm positive I'll still be eating Hershey's chocolate, but I want to be better educated. 
  • Buy local when possible - Buttin and I own a small, local business.  I think it's important to support other local businesses.  
  • Visit and purchase food from the local farmers market - This also helps some of my other goals.
  • Keep in better touch with family and friends.
  • Stay in good enough running shape to be able to run a half-marathon without any training. 
  • Continue Filanthropy Friday and find at least four opportunities to donate my time - preferably with Cub or as a family. 
OK, those are good enough for now.
In running news, I ran 19 miles yesterday 3:45 - and that included two poo stops (it is not a goal to share less on my blog).

Here is Cub being cute this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment