Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dear Jansyn

My cousin-in-law had a baby boy a couple nights ago (I actually started this post the morning after, but got lazy and had computer issues). I've only been a mother for a little over eight months, but these are some nuggets of newly found wisdom I want to share with her.

Dear Jansyn,

Congratulations on precious John Taylor.

Welcome to the world of motherhood - - so much love, joy, worry, stress and awe in one tiny little 7 lb 4 oz package. Don't worry though, he'll grow and so will your love, joy, worry, stress and awe.

Becoming a mother can feel very overwhelming at times, so here are some of things I've learned during the past several months that might (or might not) help.
  • Newborns poop and pee - ALOT. I mean like 12 -15 times a day, a lot.
  • Newborns cry quite a bit too. It's their only way of communicating, so try not to feel discouraged.
  • Always say "yes" when help is offered. I don't care if someone is offering to brush your hair, say "yes". I know you have an excellent support system so don't try to do it all by yourself.
  • Enjoy the moments John Taylor sleeps on your chest or in your lap. One day (it'll come a lot sooner than you may think) he'll want to wiggle around and play. Nothing is as wonderful as a baby sleeping on your chest.
  • Try to meet and become friends other new mothers. No one will understand you like they will.
  • Nothing you do is wrong so long as it's done with love. There are so many decisions to make as a parent, try not to overly stress out about any single decision. Go with your heart and you'll be fine. You are the only mother John Taylor knows, so to him, you're doing everything right.
  • When John Taylor is about five weeks old, and you've had about seven hours of sleep since the day he was born, you haven't showered in more days than you care to admit and you feel like exhausted crap - remember - his first smile is likely only a week or so away. It's a very, very wonderful day.
  • A happy mama = a happy baby. Try to take a little time for yourself (like taking help when it's offered - see above). If you're happy, the baby can sense it.
  • Sleep, sleep and only sleep when the baby is sleeping. Everything else can (and will) wait - except maybe going to the bathroom, you should do that even if the baby is sleeping.
  • Take lots of pictures. I may get made fun of, but I'm so glad that I have so many pictures. Even just three months from now, you'll love looking back at the his newborn days.
  • Don't buy newborn clothes - he'll grow too quickly to even wear them.
  • Kiss, kiss and kiss your son. I don't care if you kiss him so much he gets a bald spot on his head. There is no such thing as too much love for a baby.
OK, those are some of my little bits of wisdom. I'm sure I'd have more if you ever wanted to call and chat about the joy of having a little boy.

As you now know, being a mother is really the best feeling in the entire world - - and now you understand just how much your mother and father love you.

Give your son a big hug and kiss from me!

Lots of love,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment