Saturday, April 9, 2011

Doctor Visits

Cub and I both went to the doctor this week.

Cub's one year appointment by the numbers:
  • Weight:  19lbs 14oz - 15th percentile.  Dr. Boston said he was slender, but healthy.
  • Height: 29 inches - 50th percentile.  Perfectly average!
  • Cub got THREE vaccines - one in each leg and one in the arm.  He hated them, I hated them, but he was OK after just a couple of minutes.
Dr. Boston (new pediatrician for us) was OK.  I give her a B-.  I'm not sure what I'm expecting from a doctor - she's much better with Cash than she is with us (the parents), which I guess is better than if it was the other way.

Regarding biting, she said that if Cub bites we should - say "NO" very sternly and then put him in a playpen or isolate him for one minute - no hugs, no kisses, no smiles, no talking for one minute. 

I'm sure medical professionals HATE parents like me - I want her to look in his ears (which had a little fluid - due to the cold he's had recently) and in his throat (which was a little red due to the cough he's also had recently) and give me medical advice.  I DO NOT WANT parenting/developmental absolutes like - when he bites, put him in a time out. If Cub has any difficulty with math one day, I'm not going to ask Dr. Boston for advice.  I appreciate suggestions, but I didn't like her "'only way" tone.  

Dr. Boston did call Cub perfect, so I guess she's a pretty qualified doctor.

My doctor visit:

I've had a pretty bad cold for the last week and a half.  On Thursday morning, my ear started hurting - lots of pressure.  On Friday morning the pressure had subsided, but I had a puddle of goo on my pillow and my hair was crusty.  

My doctor got me in first thing on Friday morning - gave me an antibiotic and some Flonase (for allergies).  I teased my doctor that MY having a baby was good for HIS business.  I've been to see him twice in the last couple of months and before that I hadn't seen him since we confirmed my pregnancy with Cub.  

I still have quite a bit of pressure in my ear and when I talk, it sounds like I'm in a cave.  I am feeling better though and I even managed a sweaty run this morning.

Here is a picture of Cub today:

1 comment:

  1. oooh my...I am officially going to be the worst parent ever because all I can do is look at those EYES and think, "aww...what's a little bite or two?" :) hahaha. Glad you were able to get out for a good sweat!

    ReplyDelete