Saturday, October 15, 2011

It Failed Me Again

My car.

Today Ghetto McFlood-Mobile failed me.

I was on my way home from a very nice, brisk 12 mile run.  It was 8:10 in the morning - apparently peak trouble-making time in Austin, Texas.

I got pulled over by a policeman. Ugh. I wasn't speeding so I was a little perplexed. 

Here is a very accurate transcript of our conversation.

Me:  Hi very nice policeman, how are you?

Policeman: Ma'm (double ugh), your windows appear to be very dark. (He takes out window-tint-meter-o-reader thingy) Yup, your windows are .25% and the maximum allowed by law is 20%.

Me:  OK.

Policeman: Can I see your license and proof of insurance?

(I hand him my expired license, but can't find my proof of insurance).

(Policeman goes and looks stuff up on his computer and then comes back).

Policeman:  Here's a citation - you need to call the judge by November 5th.  

Me:  Really?  How am I supposed to know my windows are too dark? (I did know that they were dark, but didn't know they were illegal dark, OK maybe I kind of did.)  I'm just a sweet innocent mom  tying to get home to my very cute little 18 month old boy who totally wants to be a policeman when he grows up.  

Policeman:  Well, when you sign your license you are saying that you will abide by all Texas Highway Laws.

Me:  I do abide them - at least all the ones I know about, but I don't have a cool window doo-dad.  Do they sell them at Home Depot?

Policeman:  I don't know, but I think if you get the windows fixed - you can make the citation better (whatever, that means).  Have a good day and drive safe.

Good grief - a ticket and 8:10 in the morning for my windows being too dark!  I didn't have a dog or child with me (I've been able to get out of tickets before with these family members in my car), but apparently my red-face, sweaty smelly self wasn't doing anything for him. 

Did I mention that he didn't even notice that my license was expired??

Oh well - yet another reason why my car is so awesome. 

Here's Cub working on his truck so he doesn't receive a similar citation.


No comments:

Post a Comment