Friday, August 17, 2012

Filanthropy Friday

Outer Space (specifically Mars) has been in the news a lot during the last couple of weeks.

I know going into Space costs a metric-butt-ton of money, but I actually kind of like that we do it.  It's exciting and inspiring and different.  

When I was little girl - I LOVED the movie Space Camp - so much so that I got the Space Camp "based on the movie" book and did a book report on it in the 2nd grade.  It may have been a cheat - I'm not sure if I even read the book (seeing as it was "based on the movie" - I figured, what's the point?).  Even with my book report cheating, I still loved the idea of being an astronaut.  I really loved science and planets and all that fun kid stuff, but then I found out that to become an astronaut -  I'd probably have to go into the Air Force and be really, really smart and really, really good at doing dangerous stuff and then decided otherwise.  

I never stopped finding Space interesting - even if I'm not smart or dangerous enough to go there (until Newt Gingrich builds a colony on the Moon).  

This week, I donated $20 to the Space Camp General Scholarship Fund.  Kids should feel inspired by science (even though I've heard they just do a lot of running at Space Camp - apparently you also have to be in pretty good shape to be an astronaut) and they should all get the opportunity to be exposed to something that's as awesome as Space. 







No comments:

Post a Comment