Friday, August 20, 2010

Baby Free Friday - BEARS

**Caution, very random and somewhat stupid post below**

OK - I'm starting a new blog tradition - BABY FREE FRIDAY.

This idea is actually stolen (because I can rarely come up with a good idea on my own) from another blog. The lady happens to be pregnant and I guess she didn't want to steal my "Fetus Friday" idea.

So every Friday (until I get pregnant again - don't be alarmed there's no hurry on that one - or until Graby is a toddler, and it becomes Toddler Free Tuesday or Thursday) I'm going to write about something other than Graby. Just as a warning these will probably be very silly or random or just plain dumb posts.

Today's topic - BEARS.

This is in honor of my friend Liz who is very afraid of bears (I think it's #1 on her phobia list). Thankfully we don't have a lot of bears in Texas.

This is my drawing of a bear that I did with the Doodle Buddy app on my iPhone. This bear is at the beach (which is not exactly like real life, but just go with it). You will notice the sharp teeth and claws.


Most bears are dangerous unless they're cartoon bears. Bears sometimes look cute and cuddly, but I'm guessing (I don't actually know from experience) that they don't cuddle as well as say, a dog.

There is a documentary called Grizzly Man that Buttin and I saw a couple of years ago. That guy was nuts. He wanted to be friends with wild bears; he died (via bear). Sadly, his girlfriend died too. Maybe she didn't know that bears were dangerous?

I don't understand why there are so many good, warm and cuddly childhood things associated with bears (like Yogi and Teddy Ruxpin). You don't see a lot of shark, piranha or child molester stuffed animals, do you? What are we teaching our children?

Now baby bears are very cute, but I'm sure they could probably hurt you too. Baby bears are called cubs. The Cubs are my friend Liz's favorite baseball team (actually I'm not sure if she really cares about baseball - she just likes Chicago). This is somewhat surprising because she really is very afraid of bears, but I went to a Cubs game with her and she didn't get scared of anyone's t-shirt or bear cub pictures.

Cub is also the nickname MorMor has given to Cash. Look, I couldn't even go one post without mentioning the kiddo. So this Baby Free Friday was a failure. I'll try again next Friday with what promises to be an equally fascinating post.

1 comment:

  1. OK this post made me laugh out loud. If I didn't know that you drew that picture on your iphone I would think you needed to be committed to a hospital.

    Let me clarify: I am scared of bears that are living creatures but the Chicago Cubs do not scare me - for starters they aren't very fierce and also I drink a lot of beers at the game so that really calms the nerves. The Chicago Bears don't even scare me because they don't look enough like real bears to confuse me even if I have had a lot of Liztinis.

    I saw Grizzly Man a few years ago and I thought that guy was the DUMBEST PERSON IN THE WORLD (tm) and so was his stupid girlfriend. I am not saying they deserved to be eaten by bears but, seriously, what did they expect to happen? It's like people who want to hand-feed sharks and then get a limb bitten off. They are called wild animals for a reason.

    Baby Bears are very cute but they just grow up to be killers so I don't even waste my time thinking that they are adorable because in a few months they would just bite my face of if given the chance so I might as well start fearing them right now.

    Cash, in contrast, is very cute and if MorMor wants to call him a Cub that is just fine by me. If he starts growling and biting you may have to give him a less fierce nickname though.

    And while we are on the topic of nicknames, why don't you just call the kid his name instead of making up a million nicknames for him? Cash is a great name and that poor kid is going to grow up thinking his is a lumpygrabycub with pets named Peeny and Weeny. And then he will be in therapy and when he gets older he will write a book about how crazy his parents are and how if they had just called him by his name he wouldn't have had to go on that 5 state killing spree. I am not saying that will happen for sure but I think that happened on Criminal Minds one time.

    OK, that is all I have to say for now. Thank you for writing a post for me today! I loved it.

    Love

    Liz

    ReplyDelete