Thursday, August 12, 2010

Release The Crapp'in

I've been meaning to write an "update" on cloth diapers for a while now. A friend of mine actually suggested the topic.

I was finally motivated because I'm the guest author on another blog today! This particular post is about how I "line dry" our diapers on hangers (more on that later).

Enough about me being super-famous, back to the update . . .

I LOVE CLOTH DIAPERING.

I don't really think Buttin loves cloth diapering, but he's adjusted to it just fine as have the grandmas. MorMor sewed little black (for Johnny Cash) stars on all of Graby's diapers because the permanent marker I used to label them for daycare was fading. PLUS the black star is just so much cuter - SEE:


I don't have to worry about going to the store because we're out of diapers, I don't have to worry about whether or not to go up in size (because most of Graby's diapers are one-sized and they grow with him) and I don't have to worry about the huge increase in trash production.

I think one of the biggest hesitations mothers have with cloth diapering is the extra laundry. I do about three loads of diaper laundry per week. I usually just start the load at night after Graby has gone to bed: one cold pre-wash (without detergent), a hot wash (with regular powder Tide) and then an extra rinse. In the morning (while Graby is hopefully taking his nap) I throw everything in the dryer OR (what has been a big surprise for me & what the other blog post is about) I hang them on hangers and put them outside to sun dry.

I had no idea about the power of the sun. I'll let you in on a little secret - babies poop and when they're newborns they poop a poop-ton (we've cloth diapers since Graby got home from the hospital). The sun makes the stains disappear - like magic.

BEFORE


AFTER
As an added bonus, I'm saving on some energy costs by using the sun to dry my diapers. If I hang the diapers out in the morning before I go to work, they're usually clean and dry (and crispy) by the time I get home around 1:30. I throw them in the dryer for about 10 minutes just to fluff them up a little.

After 10 minutes in the dryer, I take all the diapers that aren't all-in-ones (meaning there's no assembly required) and put them on the kitchen table. Assembly for our pocket diapers is VERY easy. I just stuff a cloth insert into the cloth diaper cover (this takes about 2 minutes of time for about 15 diapers). I throw all the stuffed diapers (and all-in-ones) in Graby's dresser drawer and they're ready to go - just like a disposable.

It's really a fairly simple process, but you DO need a couple dozen diapers or laundry could become burdensome. The more diapers you have - the less frequently you have to do laundry. I have about three dozen and it works really well for me (especially because they change Graby's diaper EVERY hour at school).

I also think that cloth diapers are cute. The one downside (if you can call it one) is that Graby seems to need bigger sizes of clothing because his butt is so cute and fluffy. I don't really see this as an issue because he's mostly in little onesies, but if you dress your child in multi-layered outfits - you might be frustrated.

I am so thrilled that we decided to cloth diaper and I would highly encourage it.

2 comments:

  1. First of all...You're FAMOUS! That is so cool that you got to be a guest blogger. One can only dream :)
    And that's awesome that you love the cloth diapers. I have absolutely no experience with them and you are the first mom I know that uses them. Maybe one of these days I'll break down and give them a try...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I understand that being a guest blogger makes you a professional blogger now. You're adding all sorts of titles for your resume. Next up - knife juggling!

    Good information on cloth diapers. You might even had sold me on the whole process. Thankfully we're finished with diapers at our house. I'll have to come over to yours to get the experience.

    ReplyDelete