Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hello Friend & Cub's 6 Month Appointment

This weekend, I developed the tell-tale headache.

Yesterday, I started feeling a little icky.

Dun . . .Dun. . . Dun

This morning, my fear was confirmed.

Aunt flow had returned after a 16-month vacation. Now? Really? Ugh. Hello old friend.

Oh well. It had to happen sooner or later (I was just hoping for later). I was hoping these hormones wouldn't make me even more emotional than usual for Graby's 6 month appointment. Turns out, they just made me less patient.

We (Cub & I) arrived at his 1:45 appointment at 1:30. He slept really well last night but didn't nap very well this morning. He woke up from his most recent nap at 11:45 (his threshold is usually 2 hours, 2.5 if we push it). As with his last appointment, I thought oh great, super tired and now we're going to stick him with needles (4 this time!).

Buttin arrived about five minutes after cub & me. We waited, and waited and waited and saw about five other kids go in AND come back out. Finally (it just feels like forever because I know cub is tired, even though he's being a happy, happy baby), we went in around 2:00. Ugh (see, hormones making me much less patient).

The nurse weighed him - 17.5 lbs (50th percentile) and measured him 25.5 inches (20th percentile) -- apparently, he's shrunk an inch in two months. At this point, I don't have a lot of confidence in THIS nurse. Are you sure you're trained to give vaccinations? I'm not sure if you know how to measure. AND, if you do know how to measure - - what does that say about your co-workers? (see, not so nice Stephanie was coming out.) She says, "yup, it says 26.5 last time - maybe they did it wrong."

Oh well, no one seems concerned about our son having a reverse growth disease -- so I let this one go.

The we waited and waited and waited.

I eventually go out in the hall looking for Dr. Sharpie. Buttin isn't mortified, he thinks we've waited too long. I tell Dr. Sharpie that cub is at his meltdown threshold (even though he was being super smiley and giggly) and that if she was running behind, we could just come back another time. She said she'd be right with us. She was there a couple minutes later. I don't think she was annoyed with me, but I honestly didn't care -- we had been there over 45 minutes at that point.

Dr. Sharpie talks . . .blah, blah don't let him eat paint . . . blah, blah start baby-proofing your house . . .blah, blah, blah he has to get a flu shot booster in one month (gee wiz, really?) .. blah, blah, blah, blah. All the while, I'm thinking let's get to the shots so I can get this poor child home!

Buttin and I decided we were going to get our flu shots today too, so after the doctor left - the nurse started to get all the vaccines ready (why she can't do that while we're talking to the doctor, I'll never know).

I went to pay for our flu shots and make his appointment for next month and his 9 month appointment (January - holy crap!). Apparently, the nurse had to make the vaccines from rare Mediterranean oysters and she had to row there in a duck floaty. Sheesh! (Did I mention I'm not feeling very patient?)

It was almost 3:00(yup, 1.5 hours after our arrival time and 1.25 hours after cub's nap threshold) when the nurse finally came back in the room.

The nice, sweet (she actually is, even if she can't measure and is slower than molasses) nurse did our shots first.

Next, it was cub's turn. First his liquid stuff (bleh, I'm sure he'd prefer sweet potato or cupcake) and then four shots, two in each little chubby thigh. Buttin distracted cub with a baseball cap and the first two shots were finished before he even squirmed. By the time the fourth one was finished and the band-aids were on, he started sniffling. He cried for about 5 seconds and produced about two tears (which is two too many as far as I'm concerned). I brought him a new vibrating toy to distract him and as soon as Buttin held it up, it was in cub's mouth. He was such a little champ.

He fell asleep in his car seat before we even got out of the parking lot.

Here's a cute picture of our adorable shrinking baby:

1 comment:

  1. I hate hate HATE waiting at dr. offices. On base you have to arrive 15 minutes early, but do they ever see you early? No. If you're lucky they nurse will take your vitals within 15 minutes of your scheduled appointment time. THEN, they send you back out to the waiting room. The dr calls you back no less than 30 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, spends exactly 8.4 seconds with you, and leaves you wondering who is coming back. Then the nurse comes in and hands you 18 print-outs that I throw away before I leave the office, and makes you sit in the waiting room AGAIN if there's anything else you need.

    God forbid you need a prescription. Because at this base, soldiers have priority (at our old base, soldiers and children got priority) and you have to pull a number and wait for hell to freeze over to have your number called. If you're lucky they'll get your prescription for you then, if not - you guessed it - BACK TO THE WAITING ROOM!!!

    Can you tell I love the dr office? I'm considering paying out of pocket for flu shots at Walgreens just so I don't have to deal with the dr office this year.

    The good news is that as lumpy gets older, there will be fewer well baby/child appointments. Yay!

    He's adorable<3

    ReplyDelete