Monday, June 22, 2009

Drinking the Kool Aid

You know when you're an expert at something and you see someone who has obviously just started doing what you are already an expert at - and you laugh at them? I'm sure that's what real runners do when they see me coming. As an example, let's say you're great at golf and you see someone on the course with brand new clubs,shirt (you know with the fold lines from the store still visible), shorts, hat, special vision goggles for finding the ball,wind direction meter and whatever other golf junk people who are new at golf buy to help them look like an expert golfer or at least play better - that's me with running! I have been drinking the running Kool Aid (just as a point of clarification when I say "I run", I really mean "I slowly jog" - I have been in races where people pushing strollers and walking 3-legged dogs pass me) and I can't stop. I have sunk a small fortune into running attire and gadgetry. I actually have to wake up 45 minutes before I begin my run, just so that I can get dressed and put on all of my gadgets.

Here is my list:

1. Attire:
  • Two sports bras - help me feel secure.
  • Running skirt - keeps the thighs from rubbing together, doesn't seem like it would, but it does.
  • Running top - with dry fit and UV protection.
  • Running socks - that are left/right foot specific.
  • Running shoes - with Nike foot pod in the left shoe.
2. Gadgets/Other:
  • Ipod - with Nike receiver.
  • Garmin Forerunner 405 CX - my new addiction and truth be told I can stop using the Nike/Ipod thingy because this is much more awesomer.
  • Heart Rate Monitor - which must be placed in between my two sports bras.
  • Water Fanny Pack - only for my longer weekend run, but man is it attractive.
  • Sunglasses - with holes in the top to prevent them from fogging up.
After getting all this stuff on, I'm exhausted even before I start my run. I'm sure when real runners see me coming (or more likely pass me quickly) on the trail they think, "Wow, she put some Runtex employee's kid through college." I can fully admit that I have been drinking the running Kool Aid, but I only started a little over a year ago. I figure I've got quite a few years and dollars left in me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh for the love of everything holy. What the hell is going on here??! You never told me that you do all that just to go for a run. Stop the madness. I thought you were a casual jogger/napper but now it turns out you are training for the Olympics -- now I know why you go to bed so early. I need a martini to contemplate the seriousness of this situation.

    You used to hang out until 9pm watching Sahara over and over and now its only 7:30pm and all because of this obsession - I thought sleeping on my couch was your most important hobby? Where are your priorities?

    Oliver and I are concerned and we may stage an intervention (chocolate chip cookie dough will be included) when you are least expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for a chocolate chip cookie dough intervention. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete