Saturday, June 27, 2009

To Eleven

Since about April, I haven't been able to go further than 10 miles on my long runs. I experimented with lots of water, just a little water, no food and lots of food - but every Saturday morning around mile 8 I would begin to get the chills and feel really weak. One morning, I was so weak I almost peed my pants and collapsed when I stopped. This was incredibly frustrating because I was going about 15 to 16 miles without much of an issue in February and March.

This morning, I finally figured out the key - speed and my heart rate. Recently I read an article about heat and humidity and their effect on your heart rate. Prior to early June (when I received my Garmin as a birthday present), I honestly hadn't pay much attention to my heart rate and never owned a heart rate monitor. Well - as it turns out, one symptom of maintaining an extremely high heart rate is the chills and weakness. I learned that I need to keep my heart rate below 170 if I want to go more than 7 miles. The heat and humidity actually cause your heart rate to increase while working out even if you're going the same pace as you do in the winter (my winter pace is about 10 minute miles). Obviously, this now makes a lot of sense, even though it means running much slower (about 12 minute miles).

This morning I made it to 11 miles without any problems. I could have run longer but the book I was listening to on my ipod (The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman - AWESOME children's story) was over and I wasn't really wanting to start something new. I'm so relieved - I thought I would never get over the 10 mile barrier again.

Here's my run:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/7618918

No comments:

Post a Comment