Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Just One Of My Goals

As my friend Liz says, "It's Good To Have A Goal." I have lots of goals. One of them is to not murder any of our employees - another is to try to nap as much as possible - another is to find a place that sells Cadbury Eggs in June (I've eaten all my post-Easter supply). I also have more serious goals, and this year - I even have a running goal! My mother and me are planning to run (or slow jog) the San Antonio Rock N Roll Marathon on November 15th.

In the past year, I have completed several 5Ks, three 10Ks and two half marathons. My first half marathon was the inaugural San Antonio Rock N Roll race last year. It was absolutely freezing and I finished in about the middle of the pack of marathoners, even though I was only doing the half marathon. The goal of that race was just to finish. I completed my second half marathon this year at the Austin Marathon. This race was much better and I beat all of the female marathon finishers - quite an accomplishment, right?


I have lots of little goals for my race on November 15th - here are just a few:
  • Finishing alive
  • Not injuring myself or other runners (these other runners are more likely to be walkers or marathoners running the race a second time - for fun)
  • Finding my mother at the end of the race - this could be difficult with 40K other people, my hope is that we come in 39,997th & 39,998th place.
I have a lot of work to do if I'm going to accomplish these little goals and finish the race. Last March, my longest weekend run was about 16 miles, but I haven't been able to go any further with all this heat and humidity. I'm now lucky if I can run 10 miles for my long run. I also have to find something that I can eat during the race without feeling the need to throw up or worse (yes, there is a much worse - I think this should be added to my goal list). I tried a Twix bar this past Saturday and that proved to be yummy and without side effects.

Ok - enough about my running goal today. I'm off to complete one of my other goals, napping.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like the blog steph! i never knew...ps-i think you can totally do the marathon, esp with the runs you've done in the texas heat! good luck! (pps-do you not like gu? twizzlers worked for a friend...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you are going to run a real marathon. My goal for this year is to be able to drive 26 miles...its just too far to drive all at once so I have to build up my endurance. Maybe a nap at the 12 mile mark or a stop at Taco Bell will help me? If I am in shape I will drive alongside you while you run. And no, I won't stop and let you ride you slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lizzy! Good to know that you have a training plan in place for completing your 26 mile drive.

    Hi Kate! Gu does not work well for me. Candy seems to work best . . .things like Twix and Gummy Bears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you and your mom are not only continuing to run, but are looking at greater challenges. Of course it just goes to remind me that I couldn't walk 26 miles given several days let alone just a morning. Maybe I should join Liz's training regimen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - feel free to join me for a training drive this weekend. oh, wait, I have a long nap planned. Lets do it the following weekend.

    ReplyDelete