Monday, June 29, 2009

Spider Webs

Most Saturday mornings I can be found running on the Brushy Creek Trail. It is a welcomed break from the normal street jogging (not to be confused with street walking - where did that term even come from?) I do during the week. Brushy Creek is a well manicured trail and it's difficult for me to go off trail and get into trouble (I once got into BIG trouble going off trail in New York).

Well this morning I decided to be adventurous and try a trail close to my home for a Monday morning run. I looked on the trusty interweb and read about a trail approximately 2 miles from my house. It's actually very close to our friends Mick & Tara's house (Tara actually saw me running this morning, so see, I don't just pretend) around the Duval/Amherst intersection.

I felt a little dumb because I spend the first couple of minutes in the area just running around the parking lot, trying to find the trail. Nothing seemed very well marked. When I finally did find something that resembled a pathway - it was full of rocks and (gasp, Buttin) SPIDER WEBS. I forgot that if you're the first person on a wooded trail in the morning, you get to take down all the spider webs with your face. Not pleasant.

Even with all the potential of spider bites and sprained ankles (due to the rocky terrain), I still managed to run almost 7 miles. Of course, 4 of those miles were done going there and back. Tara (my friend who lives close to this trail) told me that she often runs the trail with her dog. She gave me more specific directions on finding the trail, so I may try it again on Wednesday morning - provided I can find a way to avoid the spider webs.

No comments:

Post a Comment