Friday, November 5, 2010

Baby Free Friday - Cake Balls

Cake Balls are this new, totally cool (but kind of expensive) dessert.

Sadly, I have not tried them and I'll need to take out a loan if I ever want to. They look really pretty, but they're about $27/dozen. They recommend 2 - 3 cake balls per person, which means I would need about 5 -6.

I did some extensive interweb research (googled) and here's how they're described (by wikipedia):

Cake balls are a food item that are small (typically 1/2 to 2 inches in width) and ball-shaped. Cake balls do not have the consistency of the traditional sweetened, baked and leavened cakes, but have a consistency similar to dough which can be attributed to the cake and icing being blended together.

Cake balls can be fully-baked cake crumbles that are blended with icing and shaped to form a ball and then dipped in a coating, such as melted chocolate.

Although the exact origins of Cake Balls are difficult to determine, recent media articles (see external links) credit their surging popularity to the Southern United States, specifically Texas and Louisiana.

They had me at "consistency similar to dough".

Here is my recipe for cake balls, except I call mine Cake Bowling Balls (in a free form shape):
  1. Bake (or buy) cake (the kind in a box is fine).
  2. Crumble the cake into bits and mash it up with frosting (homemade or stuff in a can).
  3. Scoop serving (at least two cups) into a bowl.
  4. Sprinkle with chocolate chips (dark chocolate ones - if you're fancy, which I am).
I think I'll try it out this weekend. Yum.

1 comment: