Friday, May 13, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

It's Friday, the 13th! Dun . . Dun . . Dun.

I was originally planning to give to some scary charity (like snake rescue or horror movie preservation), but then I read something truly horrifying.  It's all over the news - about the 8-year-old girl getting Botox.  YIKES!

I don't know what I'd do if Cub ever came to me and said, Mom I'd like to be in pageants.  I don't like pageants and although I hate to be judgmental - I find it difficult to tolerate parents who allow (in some cases push) their little girls (and boys) to be showcased so absurdly. 

I wish there was some pageant-children rescue association where I could donate money, but honestly I didn't really look.  In order to counteract the ridiculous story about a mom making her daughter get Botox injections and virgin waxes (what the hell is a virgin wax  . . . she's 8-years-old everything about her should be virgin?), I donated $15 to Girl Start.   It's an Austin-based organization all about empowering girls in the areas of math, science and technology. 

I wish all these pageant parents would send their daughters to Girl Start summer camp instead.

1 comment:

  1. Girl Start is great. It was actually founded by my friend Rachel Muir who was also featured in the book A Cup of Cappuccino for the Entrepreneur's Spirit Vol II with me. She will love hearing that you gave to this organization.

    On the other hand, that also means that you didn't give to LizWorld (tm) again this week. Geez, its almost like you don't take my "charity" seriously or something. Thats going on my list of grievances too.

    Sincerely,

    Your not dumb friend Liz

    ReplyDelete