Friday, May 27, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

Today's Filanthropy Friday idea is from one of my Baby Mama friends, Heather.  

She wrote to me a few weeks ago praising the organization Homes For Our Troops.  They modify homes for our severely injured troops.  I thought it would be an excellent choice for Memorial Day Weekend.

Since starting Filanthropy Friday, I've gotten very good at googling charity-related stuff (don't be jealous of my talents).  A few weeks ago, I discovered Charity Navigator which  gives ratings to charities based upon efficiencies, effectiveness and amount of cookie dough consumed. You can use Charity Navigator to search charities by rating, need level or category.  They've also compiled some pretty interesting top 10 lists - like 10 Celebrity-Related Charities and 10 Charities Overpaying Their For-Profit Fundraisers.

Not surprisingly, Homes For Our Troops is a 4-star rated charity. One of the great things about Homes For Our Troops is that you can donate money to homes being modified for local troops and you can help do the work (I'd be a lot of help, if the task was eating cookie dough).  

In honor of my dad, an Air Force veteran, I gave $35 to SSG Nicholas McCoy and the project for his home in Boerne, TX (where my dad and mom live). 

1 comment:

  1. In honor of your dad and your great idea, Jonathan and I donated $120 to SSG Nicholas McCoy's project. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete