Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Nostalgia

Today Buttin informed me that he wanted a VCR. Yup, a VCR.

Since a VCR costs less than gum it's difficult to object, but I'm not really looking forward to owning a bunch of VHS tapes.  Have I mentioned that we have an entire closet full of CDs and that when I first fell in love with Buttin he owned a laser disc player (and a bunch of laser discs)? 

Apparently, there are a ton of movies (I'm guessing pretty obscure ones) from Buttin's childhood that did not make the transfer to DVD.  

Buttin's theory is that men are more nostalgic about the past than women. His evidence includes his dorky giddiness about the movie Transformers (and also the movie GI Joe, but that's difficult to write).  He also admits to missing the sound a VCR makes when it's rewinding a tape.  

Hollywood doesn't make  updated versions of things that I remember from the 80s.  I also don't think I'd really want to watch a Rainbow Brite, Barbie or Care Bear movie.  

I've been thinking about Buttin's theory all day and trying to remember anything from the 80s that makes me giddy.  I really enjoyed Fraggle Rock and The Secret of Nimh, but I wouldn't wait in line two hours to see a Fraggle Rock movie.  I'd probably get giddy for Magic Middle cookies, but I can't remember anything else from the 80s that I'd get excited about having now.   

Maybe I'm the weird one or maybe Buttin is the weird one - all I know is that we're probably the only 30-somethings in the market for a VCR.

OK - here's the Graby picture of the day.  He's playing with his camera. 

2 comments:

  1. The best you can come up with from the '80's is "Fraggle Rock"? You are kidding me. OK, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

    What about...

    Top Gun
    St. Elmo's Fire
    The Outsiders

    The B52s
    Aha
    John Cougar Mellencamp

    Florence Griffith Joyner (FloJo)
    Billy Idol
    Rob Lowe

    big hair
    not getting carded at bars when you were underage
    drinking age was 18

    In the 1980s the U.S. was a superpower and when you traveled overseas everyone loved us.

    Also, air travel was so easy and airport security took about 2 minutes to get through.

    Reagan/Bush 1984 (that makes me smile when I think about the great days of Reagan - I love Ronald Reagan).

    I think what I miss the most about the '80s was the optimism that pervaded our lives and that we weren't afraid of everything. Now everything has a warning label, everything causes cancer, there are predators on the internet, and we are pessimistic about the future. I miss the '80s like you can't believe.

    Long live VCRs. And record players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you remove the cute photo of Cash from this week's "wordless Wednesday"?

    ReplyDelete