Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Transition - Day Two

Today was Cash's turn to cry.

I got to the daycare around 8:20 - the plan was to stay about 10 minutes and then leave him there for an hour - by himself!

When I arrived they informed me that the power was out (something had melted - not in the school, but on something that controls the power going to the school) and if they couldn't get it back on the school would close at 10 AM. Thankfully for us - we would be long out of there before 10 AM. I was originally planning to fill out some paperwork (thereby only technically leaving the room, not the actual premises), but since the power was out they were busy dealing with that issue and they just told me to leave for 45 or so minutes.

Honestly, the drop off was better than I had expected. I handed him off to a very sweet teacher and met the mother of one of the other little boys in his class. I ran to a bakery (to pick up some goodies for my mom's group) and to work for about 10 minutes and then headed back to Cash's school.

I thought for sure Cash would be fine - he loves being held and loves the breeze (and thankfully there was a nice breeze outside since there was no AC inside). As soon as I drove up I saw the same teacher holding him while he was wailing. It wasn't his normal little cry (that I rarely hear), it was red-turning, breath-holding, tear-crying wailing! I pretty much ran (sprinted, not jogged) into school and grabbed him away from the teacher (vaccine-style). She said he had been really good until the last couple of minutes when she could tell he was really getting tired.

He was BREAKING my heart. Usually, I can calm him down by just holding and talking to him. It took me five minutes PLUS the magic power of the boob to get him calm. I couldn't help but feel like I had abandoned him. I know I'm being dramatic, but I just wasn't expecting him to be crying after such a short amount of time. I guess it was a combination of a not so good night last night plus new people, new location and no boobie.

Tomorrow (for Transition - Day Three) the plan is to drop him off at 8:30 and abandon (I mean leave) him there till 11. I really hope he decides to sleep because momma's heart can't take much more.

1 comment:

  1. Momma's gonna have to toughen up that heart a bit! Just remember, he'll be a teenager someday - this is your revenge on him for becoming a teenager!

    ReplyDelete