Thursday, February 3, 2011

Aramco Houston Half-Marathon Race Report

The Aramco Houston Half-Marathon represented a few firsts for me.

First postpartum race.
First night away from Cub (I know it's not really race related, but it's still a first).
First race in Houston.
First time I purchased something at a race EXPO (an iPhone holder thingy).
First time to use the silver-sparkly thin blanket-like thingy after the race.
First post-race vomit.

OK, that about covers the highlights.

In summary my first postpartum race was not my worst. I've completed three half-marathons, and this was my second best (and also second worst, depending upon how you look at it) time (2:36.43).

My mom and I headed up to Houston on Saturday morning. We arrived at my childhood friend's house, I call her Nana (she's 22 weeks preggo with twin girls), around noon and we headed to the EXPO.

The packet pick up (along with everything else about the race) was super organized. We didn't have to wait in any kind of line. Our longest wait at the EXPO was for Nana who was picking out running clothes in the clearance section.

At the EXPO, we saw Ryan Hall and my mom took this adorable picture with him.

After the EXPO, we (me, my mom, nana and her sister, who I call weenie) went to lunch. I love lunch. After lunch, we went back to Nana's house and after about 45 minutes of hanging out, we went to dinner. I love dinner too. We all enjoy eating and I was with a pregnant lady, so I ate for her sake. My mom took a picture in the parking garage (near the restaurant), she did a pretty good job predicting my race day pace.

After dinner, it was back to Nana's house to pin on our bibs, make awesome rain ponchos (aka trash bags) and get to bed. My mom and I were in bed by 9:00 PM.

The entire week leading up to the race, the Houston Marathon peeps sent out emails forecasting the race day running conditions. I think on Monday, we started out as GREEN (low 50s/clear) and by Saturday night the conditions had changed to YELLOW (low 70s/rainy) with the threat of thunderstorms which meant BLACK and they would delay or cancel the race. I never knew they delayed or cancelled races due to lightening. I guess living somewhere with 300+ days of sun per year, race days don't often include thunderstorms.

We woke up at 4:30 (I had to pump) and got ready for the race (brushed teeth, hair in ponytail, put on deodorant and got dressed - skirt and short-sleeved top). We (me, mom & Nana) headed to Weenie's house and it's a good thing we got there on time because Weenie was STILL ASLEEP. Her husband had set the alarm, but only for M-F. Thankfully, she got ready quick and her husband dropped us off at the race around 6:30.

We made our way to our starting corrals - there were only two; however, Weenie was in a slower corral (the bib wasn't hers) and they wouldn't let her pass to our corral. Nana and Weenie were only planning to do about 6 miles (Weenie lives right at the 6 mile marker) so they stayed in the slower corral, while my mom and I (speed demons that we are) headed towards the faster group.

Here's a picture of my mom in her trash bag.

So after a little "opening ceremony", which consisted of both the sponsors talking (blah, blah, blah), the mayor saying something and Clyde Drexler (he was the starter) saying something too - we were off for an on time 7:00 AM start!

It was drizzling and warm and it was only getting worse.

My mom and I didn't really have a race strategy for this run which was probably a mistake. We started out like we do in most races, trying to go our own pace and trying not to get too caught up with all the people (of which there were many) passing us. (Side note: I do not have split times because my Garmin battery died about half way through the race).

I do remember looking at my watching during the first three miles and we were going pretty speedy (for us) - around 10:30/mile. At about mile three, I go ahead without my mother. I'm feeling pretty good, but I didn't get anything to drink during the first or second water stop (probably another mistake).

At about mile 5, I started to feel my first signs of dehydration - the chills. The rain probably wasn't helping. This is typically something I don't start feeling (if I ever do) until the last couple miles of a race or run. I was less than half way done and not feeling super great.

I put on my headphones and started listening to a podcast about "Limits". There's a story of Julie Moss's famous crawl to the Ironman finish. Maybe not the BEST thing to be listening too, but it kept my mind off feeling kind of sickly. I started drinking tons and tons of Gatorade (I mean like three cups at every water stop), which I never usually drink. It started to feel like an eternity between waters stops and I started to wonder if I was over doing it (the drinking).

Here I am around mile 8. I actually look better than I feel, which isn't saying much. Around this time I started walking all the Gatorade/water stops. This plan didn't last long and around mile 10 I started to jog five minutes, walk two.



The final 5K was uncomfortable. My legs were good, but my stomach was turning. I felt extremely nauseous, but I kept running (slowly). I honestly don't remember a lot about the last couple of miles, but I do remember the women's MARATHON winner passing me - I used all the cheers for her to inspire me (to not throw up). I also remember turning a corner in downtown and it being very windy.

Then (mercifully), it was over. I got my medal (but couldn't care less, my tummy was lurching), went inside the convention center to collect my finisher t-shirt and waited for my mom (we had a meeting place). About 15 minutes later my mom arrived, we got her shirt and then collapsed.

Here's my mom (collapsed).

Here's me - again, I look better than I feel.


My mom and I both started to get kind of chilly. We fished two of those silver, tin foil looking things out of the trash to use. It did make me a little warmer, but sadly, no less nauseous. I have no idea what made me feel so ill, but I never want to feel that way again. It was that kind of sickness where you know you'll feel better after you throw up.

I'll make this last part quick.

Nana and Weenie decided to finish the half marathon. My mom and I waited (me, rather impatiently) about 45 minutes. I felt badly because Nana (22 weeks preggo with twins) was so happy and glowing and I really wanted to celebrate the occasion with her, but all I could do was focus on not throwing up. I was kind of a grump.

Eventually (after what felt like an eternity of walking to the car and a small pit stop at the Hilton Hotel - my mom said I looked green) we made it back to Weenie's house where I promptly threw up every ounce of Gatorade I drank and also something that resembled lettuce (why does throw up always look like lettuce?) that I don't remember eating.

Thankfully after my love affair with the toilet, I started to feel better.

It's a good thing too, I got an email yesterday from the Austin Marathon folks reminding me that the race was only 18 (now 17) days away.

2 comments:

  1. Quite the accomplishment. Not being one of those elite payed)runner, you did the half less than one year after giving birth. Bet now, looking back and with a clear stomach, you realize just what you did. On the other hand, your mom did get in a picture with that McKeon kid from the television show, "Alice".

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!! So proud and I loved the report!

    ReplyDelete