Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Doctor #1

Yesterday, Cub and I visited a new pediatrician (we'll call him, Dr. Santa). I plan to visit a couple of doctors before making a final decision.

This doctor came highly recommended (along with several others) by some parents (the crunchier ones) from Cub's school. He works at a practice that does not accept insurance. They're able to set (fairly low) prices and do not have to argue with insurance companies. In theory, this also allows for more quality time with their patients. I find this approach refreshing and actually don't mind paying a little more per visit and not have to worry about what is/is not going to be covered.

Cub had fun in the waiting room on the rocking horse.


We waited about five minutes before seeing the nurse. Cub got weighed and measured, no major changes since his 9 month appointment. The nurse mentioned that they had another baby with the exact same birthday as Cub's in the practice. I found it interesting that she would remember such a detail.

He had fun playing on the table with the paper.

The doctor came in about 15 minutes later. He's an older man - calm, gentle - like someone's hippie grandpa (hence, why I call him Dr. Santa). He examined Cub. Cub's ears and lungs were clear. He mentioned maybe trying a little allergy medicine (something my mom and my friend, a pediatrician, also said this weekend) just as an experiment to maybe rule in or out allergies.

Next he gave me his honest opinion of all the vaccines. He said some were better than others and some were not so necessary. He mentioned delaying MMR (the biggie that everyone is typically afraid of because all that autism stuff) until 15 months, but nothing very mind-blowing.

I liked him, but didn't LOVE him. Not sure exactly what I expect from a pediatrician - I guess I just will know when I know. I do feel like he is a better option than Dr. Sharpie, so for now, I've got his number programmed into my speed dial.

The search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment