Friday, February 25, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

I highly recommend the movie Waiting For Superman.

Buttin & I enjoyed it so much (even though it's somewhat heart-breaking) that when my parents were in town this past weekend, we watched it with them (our second time, their first).

Education was an extremely important part of my childhood and young adult life. I was very fortunate (of course, as a teenage it felt more like a curse) to have parents who demanded excellence (or at least very, very, very best effort) from me when it came to school.

I remember very vividly riding in the car with my mother (I was maybe eight or nine) and telling her, I think I'm going to college. She quickly told me, No maybe about it - you're going to college. For me it was elementary school, junior high, high school and college - that was my path and my parents viewed (and instilled in me) that college was not an option, it was an absolute. The same will be true for Cub.

I don't think I have what it takes to be a teacher but there has always been a part of me that has wanted to be a teacher. Watching Waiting For Superman made me (kind of) want to be a teacher so that I could help. I'm not sure how much learning about the history of cookie dough or how to run (jog) slow will help the next generation, but I'd almost be willing to try. At the very least, I'm one of Cub's first teachers and I am trying to do my very best (in all subjects, including cookie dough).

Since I don't really think there's a school district that would take me, I can help by donating money to a local classroom project. Donor's Choose is a very cool online charity that allows you to donate to classroom projects based on location, subject and/or need. I selected a projected called, "Making A Game Out of Math". I was always pretty good at math, so I donated $20 to help this local teacher buy algebra games.

No comments:

Post a Comment