Friday, June 24, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

Another Friday and another charity suggestion from Liz - Cancer For College

At first, I thought it was some kind of funny/gerbil-esque suggestion from Liz because she sent me the link with a strange Will Ferrell sunscreen speedo picture. But then I thought - cancer isn't very funny, so maybe Will Ferrell is just associated with the charity and is being funny to help them raise money.  My brain works so quickly sometimes.  

In addition to selling sunscreen with pictures of Will Ferrell's butt on the bottle, Cancer for College provides college scholarships to cancer survivors and amputees.  I'm trying not to be too dramatic, but families are often drained of their savings when children are diagnosed with cancer.  I can only imagine that planning (and saving) for college doesn't even enter your mind when all you're doing is trying to keep your child alive. 

My only issue with this charity - it's name - Cancer For College.  It makes it sound like you get to go to college if you get cancer or if you go to college you get cancer, like it's some kind of trade.  I would prefer something like Cancer Sucks, but College is Good or College Beats Cancer or Don't Get Cancer, Get Educated.  It's shocking they didn't ask me for my opinion back in 1993 when they started this charity. 

Regardless of my feelings on the name, it's a great cause and you can also get an awesome t-shirt for your donation (like Liz did). As Will Ferrell says - "I hate cancer . . .but I love college" - so I donated $25 to the scholarship fund. 

No comments:

Post a Comment