Tuesday, June 28, 2011

No Words

Last night, my dear friend Shannon's (I call her Nana) mother died.

It was not expected.
I spoke to Nana this morning and I just had no words.  I tried to be a good listener. 

I've known Nana's mom, Maria, for over twenty years.  I spent so many summer days at their house - so many childhood memories include their family.  
As an adult I didn't really know Maria, but I still found myself crying today.

I cried for Shannon.  I cannot imagine being a new mother and not having my mother.  

I cried for Shannon's sister (and my very good friend), Colleen (I call her Weenie) who is pregnant and was already planning to name her unborn daughter in honor of Maria.  

I cannot even imagine their pain - all I can do is be there and listen.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie

    I am so sorry for Shannon's loss and for yours. It is so hard to lose anyone that you love. Please send my love to Shannon and if you need anything at all (babysitting when you go to the funeral for example) just let me know. I am here and I will do anything I can.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your and Shannon's loss. I know that being a good listener is important in times like this, so keep listening.

    ReplyDelete