Thursday, July 14, 2011

Catching Up On Reviews

So, I have been going to movies and reading (um, listening to) books this summer but I keep forgetting to do cookie reviews.

Here are a couple reviews from recent movies:

Transformers Three: Something, Something Moon.





Bad transformers try to destroy the Earth and good transformers try to stop them.  Lots of stuff blows up and some pretty people say some dumb lines.


Page One: Inside The New York Times





Fascinating documentary about the New York Times.  It included many valid points for why the printed (not just blogged) word should have a place in the media spectrum.  Once upon a time I wanted to be a journalist, so I found the entire documentary engrossing. 

OK - now books.

I've recently listened to three books - a series: The Hunger Games Trilogy - The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and The Mockingjay.





It's classified as young-adult fiction, but I found it to be great listening material during long-ish runs.  I actually wanted my non-turtle friends to run ahead of me so that I wouldn't have to talk (somehow, I always end up talking the most when I run with people).  

The Hunger Games Trilogy is an adventure/science-fiction story set in a post World War VI-ish kind of place where the United States no longer exists (and is actually never referenced) and they have some pretty messed up forms of entertainment.   It has many of the formulaic plot devices of other young-adult series (love triangle, broken home, teen angst), but the heroine is a strong female lead, not a wet-noodle wallflower (a la Bella Swan). 

I give the entire series three cookies, but the first one (The Hunger Games) is definitely the best (and probably deserves 3.5 cookies). Not surprisingly, a movie based on the first book is schedule for release on March 12 2012. 


Now, here's a picture of Cash-cub.  He's rolling rocks down a toy fire truck ladder (aren't you glad I clarified that it was a toy truck?) and I think the pose is hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment