Friday, July 22, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

Next Tuesday Cub and I are going to a trial swimming lesson.  If it goes well (meaning he doesn't poop in the pool and embarrass me), I'll be signing him up for the fall semester (along with advanced physics and painting - per Liz's instructions). 

I tried to find a local charity for today's Filanthoropy Friday that provided swimming lessons for children, but alas, I couldn't find one.  However, I did find PE3 through I live here, I give here.

PE3 is an Austin-based charity dedicated to finding solutions for the childhood obesity crisis in Texas through physical activity and nutrition education.  Their efforts benefit all children, but are specifically targeted at teens who are most at-risk.    They have actually developed a state approved high school elective course (although, I'm somewhat perplexed how a PE elective is taught online - I think they should go swimming). 

PE3 even has movie - Health Needs A Hero - and I love movies.  It's a documentary about the childhood obesity issue and some promising solutions.

In honor of Cub, I donated $25 to PE3 today and I'm hoping they use my money to encourage kids to swim.

1 comment:

  1. Well this post just confirms my suspicion that when I go out of town for a few days things to to hell in a handbasket. Once again, you got ripped off.

    Here is how you prevent childhood obesity: make the little punks play outside instead of staying inside playing video games. Take away their Gameboys, iPhones, and whatever enticements they have to not being active and see what happens. Those kids will hightail it outside and ride their bikes, climb trees, and, in some cases, rob convenience stores. I am not advocating a life of crime but I would suggest that running away from a 7-11 owner who has a shotgun pointed at you is more exercise than the average kid gets today.

    We don't need a "program" to make kids active - parents need to tell their kids to get off their butts and do something. Get a paper route, start a dog walking business, or join an athletic team. Problem solved. You are welcome.

    You don't even owe me any money for this great advice but I think you should give me $25 just like you gave that scam "charity".

    Your friend with great child-rearing ideas,

    Liz

    ReplyDelete