Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Running & Swimming

My run today was about 6.5 miles.

1 mile warm-up

The following set 2x:
1.25 miles - half marathon pace
.25 mile - recovery (very slow for me, my "fast" pace for most of the other runners)
.75 mile - 10K pace

1 mile cool-down

My blisters were better and my achilles was good for about half the run and then I started to feel it.  I'm going to try an old pair of shoes on Thursday morning and see if  it helps - I've never had achilles trouble before now.  Maybe it's because I'm running so much faster (ha!).

OK - onto the fun part of the day - swimming.

I took Graby to a waterbabies class.  There was only one other toddler (I'm guessing about 20 months old) in the class.

Class was 30 minutes and the time went by very quickly.

The first couple of minutes Graby just clung to me and cried a little (but the water was about 90 degrees, so I know he was comfortable). The instructor told me that today was just  about happiness and making it a very positive experience, so Cash and I did our own thing pretty frequently.

After little Cub got comfortable with the newness of the water and all the other kids (there were other classes going on at the same time), he started to relax and have some fun.  We did a bunch of little "stations" - like on one, he would float on a raft type thing and they called it "magic carpet", at another one - I laid him on his back and they called it "floating" (pretty clever, right?) and at another one I put him up on the ledge and pulled him in the water and they called this "leap of faith".  Leap of faith was by far his most favorite station.  After we did it once, all he wanted to do was get out of the water so that I could pull him back in the water.  He also enjoyed the slide station because it was a similar concept. 

Overall, it was a very good experience (no pooping in the pool) and I think we'll be signing up for the fall semester.

Here is Cub, modeling one of his new swimming suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment