Friday, July 29, 2011

Filanthropy Friday

A couple nights ago I had a dream that Cub, Buttin and I were in an accident.

I died and went to a place very similar to the bright clean King's Cross Station depicted in the most recent Harry Potter movie.  I was alone for a moment and then I saw Cub.  I remember holding him and stroking his hair as he laid his head on my shoulder.  I  told him he had to go back - that he needed to be with his dad.  In my dream, Cub was his current age - 15 months - so it was a little difficult to explain to him that he needed to leave me, but he did. 

It was one of those dreams that leaves you feeling a little strange.  I was in this strange frame of mind when I noticed an email from my friend, Liz - "Filanthropy Friday Idea".  I honestly thought her suggestion would be for fluffy snails or hip-hop collge, but instead it was about a friend of friend of hers who died a couple of weeks ago and left behind a five year old son.  

Liz said that when she read Amanda's story on her friend's Facebook page she couldn't help but think of me and Cash.  Amanda's family asked that in lieu of flowers, people send donations to help with her son's education fund.  Liz said that if anything ever happened to me, she'd want people to donate to Cash's education.  

I think Liz's suggestion for Filanthropy Friday was perfect this week.  She had no idea what I had dreamt the previous night, but it just felt like the right thing to do so I donated $25 to Ashley's education. 

2 comments:

  1. Steph

    I am so sorry you had that dream...that would have freaked me out. In fact it made me sad to think about it. If anything ever happened to you (cookie dough overdose for example) I would raise at least a million dollars for Cash.

    You are probably asking yourself "If Liz would be willing to raise a million dollars for Cash if I died, why won't she just start her fundraising efforts now so that I can enjoy the money too? Who couldn't use a million bucks? That money sure would make life easier."

    Excellent question and I am glad you asked. The answer is that you already have an attitude problem so if you became a millionaire overnight you would become insufferable.

    I can only imagine the conversations we would have:

    Liz: "Stephanie, why are you rolling around in a vat of cookie dough?"

    Stephanie: "Because I am a millionaire and I can do whatever I want. Now shut up and get me some Splenda to mix into this dough. Oh, and you are dumb"

    See what I mean? You know that would happen and I think things are better if you don't have access to all that money.

    Your money-wise friend,

    Liz

    PS: I am going to check out the fluffy snails thing. Is there such a thing as fluffy snails? I wonder if they are endangered? Maybe LizWorld (TM) could start a "Save the Fluffy Snails" campaign? Yeah, that idea has some promise. I will work on it.


    PPS: Have fun in Memphis this weekend. We will miss you! Jonathan's birthday is Saturday and he probably isn't that upset that you guys won't be around to celebrate...he may get over it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, thank you so much for your donation! This means so much, and I know Burk and Ashley appreciate your offering for Ashley's education. Ashley is a wonderful, smart, precocious little boy...Mandy brought a fabulous little soul into the world, and I'm honored to have friends that will help Ashley shine just like his mama. Much love and many thanks to you, Stephanie!
    Best,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete