Friday, February 3, 2012

Filanthropy Friday

I've never had any written rules forbidding it, but I've never intended on giving to the same charity twice.


I'm not really in a position to debate the reasons why Komen is no longer supplying those grants to Planned Parenthood, but I'm concerned with rising cost of healthcare.  It's my understanding that that prevention and early detection are key to keeping costs down.  Providing women, especially those with low-incomes (and possibly no insurance), with affordable healthcare screenings (mammograms, pap smears, etc.) seems like a long-term benefit to everyone.  

This week I donated $25 to Planned Parenthood which is about the same as Michael Bloomberg and his $250K donation.

UPDATE:  Komen has reversed their decision and will continue to fund Planned Parenthood.  I'm sure my blog post had a lot to do with it. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent choice!!! I am doubling your donation because I am 2X as generous as you are and I want the world to know it!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete