Saturday, February 11, 2012

My Run For Sherry

I wrote about the virtual race for Sherry yesterday for Filanthropy Friday.

This morning I ran a very chilly 11.7 miles for Sherry.  

When I got up, my iPhone said it was 39.  I think it lied.  

I dressed appropriately (for 39) and wore my race bib on my shirt. I wore a jacket, but was very confident that it would come off 3 to 4 miles into my run.  I ended up keeping my jacket on for the entire run, so around mile six I moved the bib to my jacket.  

I didn't know it was possible to stun (with cold wind) your mouth into a certain position, but I managed to do it.  Near the end of my run, I saw a woman walking a dog and I asked her, "Malamute?" but it came out "Mamamu?", she just smiled and quickly went in the opposite direction.  

In addition to being virtual race day for Sherry, today's run was my last Saturday run before the Livestrong Austin Marathon  next weekend.  The Rogue coaches decided to make this last run on the hilliest course.  I guess it's never to late to practice for all those hills next weekend.

Before I started running, I thought about Sherry - first of all, because Beth asked us to take a moment to think of Sherry and second because it was a Saturday morning around 5:45 a.m. and I was running alone (as I very often do).  I imagine that Sherry must have always felt safe (just like I do) while running and it made me just a little more aware of my surroundings and the people I saw (I also wondered if there was such a thing as runners' mace and if I should start to carry some). 

I finished my 11.7 miles in 2:16:59.  It was a nice (if somewhat chilly and hilly) run.  

This afternoon Cub and I went exploring in the trails next to our house.


Here is a little blast from the past.  A few months ago, Gigi sent a Cub picture into Women's World magazine and they published it this week!  I'm so happy that for Cub's big debut he's wearing his boyrette. 



No comments:

Post a Comment