Sunday, February 19, 2012

Marathon First - DNF

Today's race wasn't a success - unless you count throwing up in a stranger's yard a success.

I didn't finish the Livestrong Austin Marathon - I called it a day after 16.7 miles and 3 barfs. 

I started out well - maybe too well.  I don't know my split times yet, but even after 3 barfs, a 10 minute sit and and about 15 minutes of walking, my average pace (according to my iPhone app thingy) was 11:20 (which is entirely too fast for this turtle).

Trip time: 03:14:46
Trip distance: 16.7 mi
Trip calories: 1993 kcal
Average speed: 11:20 min/mi
Maximum speed: 8:52 min/mi

I got carried away with the beginning of the race and was feeling good.  I was moving too quickly (for me) and not drinking enough water.  Sometimes when it's cold outside, I forget how humid it can still be (91% at start time) and I don't drink enough water.  By the time I started to feel icky (around mile 11), it was too late and the lemon-lime gatorade only made it worse.

I started the race with two throwaway sweatshirts and a pair of throwaway gloves and by mile two I had taken off my layers and was sweating (it was pretty humid to start).  I threw away my sweatshirts, but kept my gloves (I was glad to have them later in the race). 

Things started getting not so great around mile 11 - I started walking up the hill on Exposition (it sucked) and  then barfed on someone's front lawn right before turning onto 35th (around mile 13).  I used one of my throwaway gloves to wash off my face.  I'm sure that homeowner was happy to find a gift in their lawn this morning.  A couple runners and spectators asked me if I was OK.  I just felt embarrassed.  

The sign I saw immediately after leaving that pretty gift was "You look so smart and pretty" - I didn't feel either and I'm sure I didn't look either, but I kept jogging.  

I jogged/walked for the next 3 - 4 miles and was trying to "shake it off".  I texted Buttin and told him to be prepared to pick me up in the event that I did not get any better.  Soon after the 16 mile marker, I stopped at the medical station and sat down for about 10 minutes and threw up twice.  It was time to call it a day.

I walked through a neighborhood to try and find some streets Buttin could access.  I got home, took a long shower and then a 1.5 hour nap.  I felt better when I woke up, but still not 100%.  

I'm a little disappointed, but I run for fun and on any given day when it's no longer fun (i.e. I'm barfing), I stop.  I'll have a better race another day. 

5 comments:

  1. oh no! oh, i am so sorry! do you think it was a bug?

    there are other races that you can kick in arse.

    get some more rest and more fluid

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Things started getting not so great around mile 11 - I started walking up the hill on Exposition (it sucked) and then barfed on someone's front lawn right before turning onto 35th (around mile 13). I used one of my throwaway gloves to wash off my face. I'm sure that homeowner was happy to find a gift in their lawn this morning. A couple runners and spectators asked me if I was OK. I just felt embarrassed."

    It's almost like you have unleashed a reign of terror on Austin. Puking in yards? Pooping in the woods? What is your next plan to de-civilize our lovely town? At least you had the good grace to be embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job! training for the race is the hardest part...that's the part that tests you and takes dedication! I'm so proud and inspired by you! Keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry it didn't go better, but I am proud of you for making the effort. I see you are already signed up for your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!!! I am in disbelief that you lasted 16 MILES doing this. Crazy woman! You had the flu. You had to have had it. What a horrible story. haha, I hope you are feeling better :) And whatever - I totally agree with the sign despite the pukage. You were smart and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete