Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Little Hiatus . . . Maybe

The past few days (wait . . the last few weeks) have just been a blur of activity.

I think all the activity, stress and weight gain (not sure how generous, I'm afraid to look) are starting to effect (or is it affect . . . I never know?) my body - mostly, my back.

It started a week or so ago in Florida - a dull, but sometimes stabbing pain in my upper right hip/lower back. The first night I had it - I could barely move. It got better, but creeps back in about every other day. Last night it was pretty bad. I think it was the wearing of jeans (usually I wear stretchy pants . . . yup I'm one of those stylish pregnant ladies) and cute heeled flip-flops from yesterday. I also went shopping after work and that was quite a bit of walking around (on a side note, I felt really bad for Macy's - their computer systems were completely down and they couldn't ring anyone up).

Well, when I woke up this morning - it was better, but I could still feel it. This meant that although I wanted to do a little run, I had to do a little walk (um . . waddle) instead. I'm thinking I may have to take my brief hiatus from running earlier than planned (I was hoping to get to about 30 - 32 weeks). Looks like I'll be on the elliptical or in the pool from now on - unless my back starts to feel better. I will miss you, running - but will return sometime in mid-May (hopefully).

On a slightly related note, I've never been much of a back sleeper, BUT now that I've been told by my doctor that I'm not allowed to lay on my back (he said some scary stuff like, "cut off blood flow to me and the baby") - that's the ONLY position that feels comfortable!! Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to have to stop running. Hopefully, the pool at the gym is large enough that you can walk laps. Depending on the depth of the water, it can be a tiring exercise, and the water helps lessen the impact on the back.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh quit complaining. As you know when I returned from my tour in Vietnam where I lost both my legs I led a team of hikers up Mount McKinley. During our trek one of the hikers nearly died of exhaustion but I saved him using some dried twigs, the carcass of an elk, some kerosene, and a guitar pick. In order to get this guy home I had to build a suspension bridge across mountains of ice using only some twine made from my own hair, toothpicks, and beef jerkey. I received widespread notoriety and was nominated for several prizes for my bravery but I turned them all down because I believe that stoicism is the most important trait we can possess. Now think about that the next time your hip and back start to hurt and stop complaining or I will show you my leg stumps.

    ReplyDelete