Thursday, December 10, 2009

Our Armadillo Racing, Trapeze Jumping, Snake Charming Grand New Location Opening Sale

I know I've mentioned my fabulous friend Liz a time or two on this blog. I often spend Wednesday evenings at her house and last night was no exception - we ate KFC (it's probably the classiest selection on the regular Liz/Steph menu).

To say my friend Liz is smart is like saying I mildly enjoy Cadbury Creme Eggs. She got her bachelors degree and MBA from the University of Chicago, helped start a non-profit in Chicago, has her own successful business and I'm quite sure she knows people who have won prizes that have "Nobel" in the title. (Whereas I know people who have won participation certificates from eating contests.) So, I decided to ask my highly intelligent friend an important marketing question.

As I've also mentioned a time or two on this blog - our business has moved. We are very excited and are planning a BIG SALE in February. I asked Liz (very smart lady . . . I think) what we should call the sale. We can't really advertise "Grand Opening" because we've been around for several years and I don't want to make it sound like we just opened and have no experience. I was thinking she would come up with a more clever way of saying "New Location Sale" or "Grand Re-Opening" or something similar.

I'm not kidding when I say that her first suggestion was, "I think you need to have armadillo races," followed by, "how about a snake charmer or a charity carnival with cotton candy and a trapeze?" Her next suggestions involved strippers, a fajita buffet, a trampoline, a keg, a DJ, pony and/or longhorn rides (she's confident we could get Bevo - since football season will be over), some kind of activity involving a lasso and butter, funnel cakes (I'm with her on this one), a knife juggler, a giraffe and (for the classy people) champagne. I'm quite sure there were even more "suggestions", but my brain is so overloaded that I forget.

I know this sounds like she was being funny, but I swear she's serious about 82% of these things. When I told her that I was hoping she could just give me a brief two word phrase that I could use in front of the word "sale", she said I was stifling her creativity and keeping her in a boring little box. So, not wanting to to limit my fabulous friend Liz I had a very talented artist come up with this ad for our our BIG SALE.

4 comments:

  1. OMG. That is the best party invitation/photo EVER. I am putting it on my facebook page. If you send that invitation out everyone will come to your party and so will the media. Trust me.

    The only thing missing is a tie-in to needy kids so maybe you could ask everyone who comes to the party to donate a couple of bucks to feed needy kids or something and you will have hit the party trifecta. I hope you use that amazing invitation!!! I love it.

    Don't forget the snake handling idea - I thought that was a winner for sure. Also you forgot to mention that among my qualifications to make these suggestions is "Champion Armadillo Wrangler" - Clyde, my armadillo, won his heat at the First Tee Gala all due to my skill and tenacity. And my ability to withstand his odor and to hold him still until it was time to race.

    PS: I wasn't really serious about the butter and lassoing contest (wait, let me think about that one...ok, not really serious) but everything else would make for a seriously fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you guys left off the most important thing - RACCOON TRAPPING CONTEST! I'm sure you're missing those cute creatures by now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome...I would definitely come to that grand re-opening. I noticed the midgets...Is there going to be midget tossing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, mark sent me this link a few weeks ago for a good laugh. i tell you what, i've had one of the most depressing days ever and that "do your carpets match your drapes? we can help!" line actually made me laugh for the first time all day. thanks. : )

    ReplyDelete