Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lumpy Update - In Bullet Point Form

Today we had two doctor's appointments - one with Dr. Elephant (remember, the one who said I had a "generous" weight gain last time) and one with the ultrasound Dr., let's call her Dr. Sweet (she's very nice).

Here are the highlights:
  • I've gained 3 lbs since my last appointment (Oct. 30th). I find it difficult to believe that I gained twice as much weight during the prior 5 week period (when I was running over 25 miles per week) than I have during the last 5 weeks (while only running about 12 miles a week for the last couple of weeks and having Thanksgiving - seriously, I ate half a Tootie Pie by myself). Even more bizarre, when I went to Dr. Sweet's office - I weighed the EXACT same as I did two weeks ago (Nov. 18th).
  • Dr. Elephant said that my weight gain and blood pressure both looked very good (whoppee. . . no generous weight gain this time!!).
  • Dr. Elephant said that we're now at the point where if Lumpy was born there would be a chance for survival and that the chance for survival increases DAILY. However, we plan to let Lumpy cook till Spring.
  • Dr. Elephant said I should no longer be sleeping on my back.
  • The point of this follow up ultrasound was to make sure all of Lumpy's vertebrae were fused (Lumpy wasn't in a cooperating position last time). Well, Lumpy's spine looks great!
  • Lumpy was curled up in a little cannon ball position, with his/her legs tucked under its butt, so Lumpy was playing with his/her hands this time (last time it was the feet).
  • Lumpy is now 1 lb! Lumpy has gained 4 oz in 2 weeks! However, even with this "generous" weight gain, Lumpy is still on the low-end for weight. I take this to mean only one thing - Lumpy wants more fried cheese! (So I gave Lumpy exactly what he/she wanted by going to Sonic after my appointment.)
  • Because Lumpy is on the lower-end for weight (by the way, I'm perfectly fine if Lumpy is a smaller baby - my mother-in-law told me that my husband was a 10 lb baby and I'm not really wanting to push out a 10 lb baby!) we're going back for another ultrasound on January 4th. I told her this was perfectly fine as I'm sure the grandmas would not tire of looking at pictures.
So, here are a couple of pictures:

This one is a 3D picture where Lumpy looks less like frog than he/she did 2 weeks ago. You can kind of see the arm up around the head. The thing that looks like a growth coming out of Lumpy's head is actually his/her hand.

Here's a cute little profile picture of Lumpy (the profile pictures are my favorite). You can see how Lumpy's legs are tucked under his/her butt.

We have another appointment with Dr. Elephant and Dr. Sweet on Monday, January 4th. I'm not sure my weight gain will be so small next time considering cookie baking with Bubie, Christmas parties and New Year's!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,
    I'm pretty good at x-rays, not so good at sonograms, but to me, it looks like Lumpy is trying to pick his nose, therefore, the Lump has got to be a male.

    Oh, wait, I stand corrected, it was x-rated films that I'm good at looking at. Nevermind.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete